Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I recently found that both sub frame mounting points that are in the wheel arch are rusting very badly.
Basically, I am going to have to break the bolt off, cut out most of the mounting point and weld on a replacement.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of this structure as a whole? As opposed to having to build it up myself?

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Thanks,

Nick
PS> Car is an Astra H 2l Turbo

·
Registered
815 Posts
doesnt look that bad from the photo to be honest you can replace the sunframe in one go but dont think the mountings can be without a bit of heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must admit that in this photo it is not immediately obvious - but the whole right side has been eaten away. Hidden by the paper label :-(
I sprayed rust converter and then stone chip on it to at least stop the rot a bit. The nut is rusted into one piece with washers and mounting plate.

Somebody told me that it might be possible to get an after market bit that could be welded on as one piece. I'm a bit doubtful, but still hoping:)

·
Registered
815 Posts
that part has water holes to let it drain so those holes are ment to be there so dont mix them up with ror i underseal mt whole car once a year

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there was once a hole there somewhere, probably got gunked up, and then during 15+ years the real problems started.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Mine was getting there too. Those ones are the hardest to remove as they're exposed to the elements. I ended up taking the angle grinder to mine, cut the head and washer off the bolt. You can still buy the bolts and nuts new, though they're about a tenner a bolt now.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If it’s really bad, just cut out the middle flat section and weld a new plate in there. Most important part is to mark the alignment well first, if the plate you weld in is slightly out it will put the geo out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts