Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Astra 1.9 cdti 150 sri 57 plate with 59k

a few weeks ago I noticed a strange noise coming from the engine occasionally. It didnt appear to be engine speed related and I thought it was steering, as it appeared to come and go sometimes whilst driving. However now it nearly does it all the time. it still comes and goes, but with only a few seconds apart. I even does it on tick over now.
Its coming from the cambelt end. Ive sprayed the aux belt and its not that.
Ive just take a quick video, hopefully someone can help. Got an important trip to an airport thats 100 mile away in 4 weeks and Im worried its gonna let me down.
Anyway, heres the vid.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,719 Posts
has the timing belt ever been changed?

not to worry you but it is a common fault on these for the water pumps to seize and when it does you get a high pitched whine when the belt slips over the smooth pulley, either that or could be a sticking tensioner pully.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok.
Is there anyway to check without dismantling the cambelt?
ie is it easy to remove the cambelt cover and run the engine?

How much am I looking at for a cambelt and water pump?

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,719 Posts
should be pretty straight forward, will need a cam lockign tool, but apart from that don't think anything else is required and will be as straight forward as doing a cam belt back in the 80's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just let my local garage have a listen and he reckons its coming from the aux belt, either the alternator pulley or the aircon pump (the aircon doesnt work, never has)
If its the aircon pump is it possible to fit a smaller belt and not connect the pump pulley? Dont want to spend £££'s on a aircon pump if the system is also faulty elsewhere

He seemed pretty sure it wasnt the cambelt/water pump

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just let my local garage have a listen and he reckons its coming from the aux belt, either the alternator pulley or the aircon pump (the aircon doesnt work, never has)
If its the aircon pump is it possible to fit a smaller belt and not connect the pump pulley? Dont want to spend £££'s on a aircon pump if the system is also faulty elsewhere

He seemed pretty sure it wasnt the cambelt/water pump
hi

sorry I know it’s been a while but did you ever get to the bottom of this noise?

I have the same on my Astravan 1.9 cdti 150

cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey dave

yeah I know it’s been a while just thought he might get the email notification and have a idea what it was that’s all.
Anyhow I think I’ve found the issue now it appears to be the boost control solenoid causing the vibration a lot like it does on the insignia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts