Astra Owners Network banner

Stiff steering above 10mph

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  WowHesTall 
#1 ·
Hey all, a roundabout jumped out into the middle of the road the other day and my wife collided with it.

I replaced the lower arm and both inner and outer steering links, then had the wheel alignment sorted.

The car drives fine at low speed and the steering is nice and light. However, anything above 10mph and the steering is super stiff - it's nearly to the point it's locked up. Slowing down and the steering returns to normal.

Electric steering pump, doesn't seem affected my RPM, just speed. Any suggestions on things to check would be appreciated!

Thanks, Andy

#4 ·
The hub, bearing, shock and link showed no signs of trauma (albeit I can't see the top-mount). The arm and rods were really bent out of shape and took the brunt of the force. Unfortunately, when my wife took the vehicle for the tracking, no documentation was provided which peed me off. They said they don't retain it.

It "feels" like it is aligned nicely though. No pulling under load, corners at slow speed feel nice too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.