Astra Owners Network banner

Stereo Advice

1K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  PeteBrightman89 
#1 ·
Hi there i am just wondering what stereos people would recommend for the kind of oem+ look as i havent yet seen an aftermarket double din unit in an astra if people could post your stereo pics up i would be very grateful, wondering to go down the route of the eonon or to get a more known name that not specially made well tell me what you think and the kinda looks there are out there.

Many Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
The Eonon is far from being a perfect unit, but if you just want something that does what it says it'll do, but look OEM, then they are a great unit (Y)

I have an Eonon D5108 and pretty happy with it :)

I had a JVC KW-AVX810 in my old Astra and it was a good unit, but it looked a bit out of place. I don't like generic double DIN stereos fitted to the Astra H dash unless you have the piano black dash.

This is the D5108 fitted:

I can't find a picture of the JVC, but I'm sure I've got one somewhere so I'll dig it out when I get home later (Y)

Edit Looks like I hosted it on Imageshack and that's blocked at work. If you go to Google Images and type in "Nimraynn JVC", it's the third pic (Y)

#6 ·
ok many thanks when you say that the eonon is good if you just want something that says it will do what it says on the tin, i suppose it works well i just dont want to spend £200-£300 on a headunit if i find that the picture is rubbish or anything like that

#19 · (Edited)
Sat on numerous road trips listening to one of these head unit’s. Considered one myself before I had the opportunity to get to know them a little better.

Sound quality, yes moderately better than the CD30 but what isn’t? Compare it against Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood even budget units like JVC even Beat, it cannot hold its own. This is due to like all its other generic low quality parts, the DAC converter and internal amp is very lacking.

The Bluetooth is very basic and out dated, most branded units use Parrot. Parrot is the market leader in phone linkage and Bluetooth in the world of ICE.

The Satnav is no better than you get free on cheap mobile phones, again completely left behind by the branded units on the market. Screen quality is poor and touch response in shockingly unresponsive. Menu is a little muddled up and very out of date in its looks.
Do they match your dash? Sorry now they don’t look the same.

People like them because they offer lots of features at a low price, and fit in the dash without much fuss. But are they on par with the rest of the market in quality and sound, sorry not even close.

If you’re happy with cheap unbranded electronics out of back streets in China, then this is the unit for you. If you like to have usable, much better quality ICE with much better product support then stick with the big names.

Simply “you get what you pay for”. If you’re prepared to sacrifice the satnav (a good branded unit would set you back over £550) then for about the same price plus fitting kit, you could get a double din that performs as in car entertainment should.

#20 ·
From my under standing here are a few points for and against Eonon units:
For:
Straight swap for OEM headunit so easyish to fit
Loads of functions
Works with steering controls
Bluetooth handsfree and audio streaming
Largish screen
Ability to adjust the time on the Astra's display
Cheapish when you consider on other headunits you need to purchase extra cables and adapters that come to around £80
Against:
Sound quality is only slightly better than the OEM units
Touchscreen is quite unresponsive
Screen quality isn't the best
Sat nav isnt amazing and your phone could do a better job

I was considering one but I think the negatives outway the positives and will try to get a decent double din headunit from a known brand

#22 ·
You need to see and listen to one, then the same with a modestly priced branded unit. Only then will you have a true comparison.

The trade-off of having to use a fitting kit with the branded units (gives you the same steering wheel controls as the Eonon) far out ways the overall quality comparison of all the other features.

The world of ICE will always steer towards units that can fit in a multitude of different applications, the manufactures can invest large sums of money to give us up to date quality entertainment. Making an aftermarket head unit for a limited range of cars let alone one that is now superseded, will always be left to the back street generic company’s.

#24 · (Edited)
Do you guys think single dins for the astra mk5 are unacceptable then lol? I'm actually nearly round to changing my system and looked around today. Started to think I could probably get a really decent one half the price of a really decent double din. Saving £££ :) Plus I'd have a nice pocket underneath for my iPhone5 when it arrives :D

If anyone has any single din pictures can you please share? A little worried they look a bit strange in the mk5. What do you think?

#27 ·
Hi there. I replaced the entire OEM system, which is seriously cheap and nasty, with an Alpine system. I now have the the CDE-136BT headunit with Alpine speakers all round. The sound is in a different league, as is the radio reception. The CDE-136BT is dual analogue and digital, which means it can switch between DAB+, FM and MW/LW, and i have a Hirschmann arial fitted to get the best reception available. Best of all i can now make and receive phone calls handsfree via bluetooth and play all my music on my iPhone via bluetooth as well.

#28 ·
I have a jvc avx 740 fitted
Extremely good sound quality but I did upgrade front speakers too.
I would say go aftermarket but I did have to buy the connects2 fascia surrounding.
Stereo cost £200, has rear USB for ipods etc, has album artwork, reverse camera ready, and of you have an iPhone,
It works with iPhone sat nav plugged in. Also does DVDs, custom wallpaper etc.
I can take a pictures if you would like.
Hope this helps! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.