Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Lads,

New member and first time posting, very glad a place like this exists online and hope to become a part of it :)

I'm going to get right into it:
As i just bought my first car, Astra G, the guy i bought it from installed a new steering wheel.
Now that i have been driving it for about a month, i experience some difficulties with it.
If i start the car after a night/few hours of it being off, the steering wheel becomes incredible hard to steer. (note, it gives so much resistance that i am not even able to make a turn when i tend to drive off). However, This fades after about 20-30 seconds and the steering becomes very easy again :S

i only experience this when i start the car for the first time again after it has been off for a while, although i am quite scared that it might happen when driving (with could be lethal)
Would this have anything to do with the new steering wheel? or perhaps the power steering fluid?

Cheers

·
15,050 Posts
The power steering runs off an electric pump, which relies on the output of the alternator to run properly. It might be that the alternator belt is slipping a little when cold meaning the alternator takes some time to spin up to full output. Check the belt is nice and tight and is still in good condition.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
As above, spot on, but do check the power steering fluid level, see if there are any leaks, etc,

It may be a case that the alternator is past its best, is your battery charging up well?

B

Ps ; to bleed the steering if there are air locks , simply turn your steering wheel slowly on full lock , left to right several times

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys,

I checked the fluid levels and those seem to be just fine, however, i noticed now that upon starting the car the battery warning light comes on but switches off again after 20 sec orso.
It is during the time that this warning light is on that the steering is very difficult, as soon as the light pops off the steering is fine again.

something wrong with the battery?

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
As you've already been told by two members, it's likely to be the alternator which would cause all of the problems you've suggested

1 - 6 of 6 Posts