Astra Owners Network banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hi many thanks to all of you who have had input I have spoke to a few mechanics and none of them have any idea got a couple to check the timing spot on
So sad o say but I have given up and brought a second hand engine fitting now

Many thanks
Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I bet it will niggle you though not to get to the bottom of it!
Oh yes I hate not being able to resolve any problem but after 2 months of trying I think I have to except that I will not get this one done but it will hang around my neck for a very long time
Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh yes I hate not being able to resolve any problem but after 2 months of trying I think I have to except that I will not get this one done but it will hang around my neck for a very long time
Dave
still have the old engine?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Having reread the details it is a VVT so the timing bit is a bit more complicated than a straight forward cam I would have thought. Was that set up correct?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Having reread the details it is a VVT so the timing bit is a bit more complicated than a straight forward cam I would have thought. Was that set up correct?
Hi from what i could find out no different to normal timimg the VVT bit does not happen until a certain oil pressure has been got to then the cams move a bit bit when no oil pressure they sit back on there stops so no different to non VVT
unless you know better and i have missed something i should have known about

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
OK fair enough. I do not know the engine per se but it was just a thought as you had it all well stripped down it is easy to miss something on the rebuild. Like you I hate not getting to the bottom of defects. I have two puzzlers on the go at the moment. A Honda diesel CRV that now and again does not respond to the throttle and a Tigra with a warning light that is related to the coolant fan(2 speed) with one speed not working. I have done all the checks on both and cannot find the culprit--yet!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
sounds like you are having fun I think the CRV is fly by wire so must be an electrical connection problem some where but difficult to find if it is the tigra slow speed that is not working had the same sort of problem and found the resistor had gone open circuit but sure you have checked it

cheers
Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
CRV I replaced the throttle pedal and still the same. The defect is so random with no defect warnings it is a real mystery. As these are rare in the UK as a diesel( more popular in the USA apparently) I had trouble finding where the ECU was. I went to the main Stealers and the counter staff had no idea. Luckily a chap doing the MOTs happened to know. It is passenger footwell but you have to strip the area down to get it out. You cannot disconnect the plugs whilst it is mounted so you have to take the bolts out. Access for me was a nightmare. I decided on refit to take the seat out and ended up taking both out to give the carpet a good clean. The seats are really heavy. to add a bit more anguish! I got a replacement ECU ready to fit it is just a matter of me getting round to do it.
As for the Tigra I have tested the rad assembly on the bench and it works as it should. There is continuity at the plug from the fuse unit and the relays work and the feeds to it are there. I have to now check the wire feed from the relay to the ecu plug but getting at it is a pain and I also want to remove the ecu to inspect it clearly as it is a pain insitu.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
sounds like you are having bigger problems than me so good luck cannot remember which car it was but the ECU on that was in the passenger foot well and that was down as keeps failing due to being kicked do you know if you get a DTC code when it fails as normally they are all monitored loops
Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
It is well protected regards foot bumps as it is behind secondary mounting brackets for the trim panels. I have no idea as it is well beyond my knowledge base being a septuagenarian!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Stoke and yes I have a multi reader to which you can put 5 car makes on . It covers all systems and can be updated online from the supplier. I also have a dedicated one for the Tiguan which I bought first before they came up with the multi car one unfortunately.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
okay mate you are too far from me to help you cannot understand why you are not getting a DTC code when the pedal fails

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes that is the killer part of it hence having to try a ECU as a last ditch attempt to fix. The galling thing is my son had just had new tyres and brake discs and pads ready for the MOT when enough was enough as the fault was in my mind dangerous to the point of a back end or side smash as drivers these days as a general rule are too distracted with all the gadgets cars have and don't concentrate on the road and its conditions. As he has a 5 year old i would hate him to be side swiped and even though the car is built like a tank it was not worth the risk using it like it is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi ro my way of thinking as an electrical engineer I would look at the power supply as it is not showing any connection faults dependant on the system it might not detect power fail
Dave

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't know anything specifically about the Honda systems but i can't imagine a fly by wire acc setup can be much different the Vx one,
the pedal will have two sensors,so 2x power feeds (5v on Vx but possibly 12v) 2x low references (earth)
and 2 signal wires back to the ecm,any chance of tracking a wiring diagram down ?

41 - 60 of 61 Posts