Astra Owners Network banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
okay running out of ideas conected my air compressor to the inlet to try and blow the fuel mix in to the cylinders still did not try and fire up

·
Registered
822 Posts
In theory you have everything correct for it to run ,
have you checked the actual fuel pressure ? it should be about 55psi
if that's ok then i would be trying a sniff or two of easy start or brake cleaner when cranking to see if it fires.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In theory you have everything correct for it to run ,
have you checked the actual fuel pressure ? it should be about 55psi
if that's ok then i would be trying a sniff or two of easy start or brake cleaner when cranking to see if it fires.
Hi tried easy start even tried butain but still not even a sound of it trying to fire streached the springs on the spark plug ingition modual to make sur they were making still nothing
Sorry about the spelling not my best thing
Dave

·
Registered
822 Posts
I know you tested for a spark with the plugs out but if you're confident it's getting fuel to the cylinder,the timing is ok and you have good compression there's a possibility it's a weak spark,if it is weak it won't jump the gap under cylinder pressure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I know you tested for a spark with the plugs out but if you're confident it's getting fuel to the cylinder,the timing is ok and you have good compression there's a possibility it's a weak spark,if it is weak it won't jump the gap under cylinder pressure.
Hi thanks i can understand what you are saying the air gap resistance will change just air to air fuel mix it had a new injection unit about 2 years ago how do i prove if i have a weak spark or not

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would have thought you would at least get the odd firing cylinder whilst cranking. It makes me think the fuel is being delivered to the cylinder that isn't sparking. Mechanical and electrical timing is possibly out.
Have you reconnected the cam sensors?
Was the head skimmed intact without removing pulleys etc?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
hi I would expect something a cough or splutter of it trying to fire but nothing at all, To my limited understanding even if the fuel was injected at the wrong time it would still be in the inlet tract and sucked in when the valve opened would be different if direct injection in to the bore
Everything is reconnected checked multipl times and would expect some kind of DTC code to say something was wrong if it was not plugged in
Head was totally stripped before skimming them will normally not do any work unless totally stripped

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi
hi I would expect something a cough or splutter of it trying to fire but nothing at all, To my limited understanding even if the fuel was injected at the wrong time it would still be in the inlet tract and sucked in when the valve opened would be different if direct injection in to the bore
Everything is reconnected checked multipl times and would expect some kind of DTC code to say something was wrong if it was not plugged in
Head was totally stripped before skimming them will normally not do any work unless totally stripped

Cheers
Dave
any idea of what sets the fuel injector timing is it done from the crank sensor same as ignition or does something else fire the injector pulses

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would have thought a combination of both camshaft sensor and crank sensor.
Camshaft sensors informing ecu of cylinder order
Crank sensor informing ecu of tdc of each piston.
Did you ensure cylinder 1 was at tdc when setting mechanical timing?
The crank rotates twice for every 1 rotation of the camshafts. Just a thought.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would have thought a combination of both camshaft sensor and crank sensor.
Camshaft sensors informing ecu of cylinder order
Crank sensor informing ecu of tdc of each piston.
Did you ensure cylinder 1 was at tdc when setting mechanical timing?
The crank rotates twice for every 1 rotation of the camshafts. Just a thought.
Hi thought it might have some kind of input from both after a picture of the rear of the intake cam to check the sender is in the correct position but did not get a reply
Checked TDC with marker on crank pully and checked with screwdriver in bore to make sure it was true TDC as I said ignition fires at the correct cam timing postion inlet valve just closed exhaust fully open on next 90 degree rotation of the camshaft

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes it does use both cam and crank sensors for spark and fuel delivery timing,
if it is 180deg out it would explain a lot
Hi thanks thought it might need a picture of thr rear of the inlet cam to check sender position but no one on here had one to give me
Ignition fires at the correct time inlet valve just closed exhaust valve closed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got some new spark plugs coming plugs as per haynes manual champion RC10 MMC fitted new plugs on rebuild but they were Denso plugs not sure if they are compatable just think what i have been told maybe plugs not fire correctly
Will let you know out come when fitted tomorow or the next day down to delivery
Cheers lads
Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
well got the plugs checked the timing all spot on fitted new plugs and still nothing turning over but not firing at all

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Very strange all of this.

Has your battery been charged during all this cranking and not running?

When you referred to the camshaft reluctor disc coming off the inlet camshaft accidentally, is it not fool proof on relocating it back on the camshaft correctly ? eg with the aid of location grooves on it or something similar. Item 23 on this link

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi yes battery has been charged fully flattened it a few times, yes it is item 23 I have set it from picture I have found on the web and the position it looks like it want to be there is a mark on the camshaft that it lines up on so reasonable happy it is in the right location but I am no expert

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Having reread your initial entry I see you said compression all good Who rebuilt the engine?
Hi i did the rebuild just a cylinder head nothing difficult have done total rebuilds on lots of engines To be honest have given up getting it going

21 - 40 of 61 Posts