Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I think I need to replace my rear springs as the car appears to be sitting lower on one side, I’ve investigated and cannot identify any breaks in the spring on that side but I’m guessing it still points to the spring.

ive had a look in my trusty Haynes manual and it looks really simple to do, but is it?

Also any advice on what’s a good make to fit as my local VX dealer is still closed and obviously this needs sorting ASAP?

TIA

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My advice to you would be to buy original equipment springs as they are pigtailed at both ends. This stops the coils coming into contact and making noises.

Try autovaux website.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My advice to you would be to buy original equipment springs as they are pigtailed at both ends. This stops the coils coming into contact and making noises.
Cool, I’ve located a genuine part on vauxcentre since I posted so I’m going to go and order that!

With regards to the actual replacement, is it really as easy as it seems?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cool, I’ve located a genuine part on vauxcentre since I posted so I’m going to go and order that!

With regards to the actual replacement, is it really as easy as it seems?

Thanks.

Yes iirc did mine quite quickly when I had the astra h, after it failing its mot

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes iirc did mine quite quickly when I had the astra h, after it failing its mot
Thanks, hopefully it will go ok.

Do you reckon I should jack up the rear so I can have a better look in the mean time or is that likely to exacerbate the problem?

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Thanks, hopefully it will go ok.

Do you reckon I should jack up the rear so I can have a better look in the mean time or is that likely to exacerbate the problem?

If they aren’t broken it should be find to jack up the whole rear, il be doing mine this week, it’s just a case of pulling the wheel off and undoing the top bolt, il be doing mine 1 at a time as il bd working on the road

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I can't see it being a problem to jack the car up for inspection on the corner it is sitting low. The car weight on that corner will be sat on the broken end of the spring if that is the case. So presumably shouldn't drop much more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Easily done,jack car up and onto axle stands,rest the jack under the back axle,undo lower bolt on the shock pull off and lower the jack axle should drop and give you room to remove spring,fitting is the reverse,I didn’t take my wheels off

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Easily done,jack car up and onto axle stands,rest the jack under the back axle,undo lower bolt on the shock pull off and lower the jack axle should drop and give you room to remove spring,fitting is the reverse,I didn’t take my wheels off
Iv got a white line to fit to mine as well as springs

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Neither do I, I’m a fat bloke tho, so I just put a bit of weight on it til it stops

·
Registered
132 Posts
Iv got a white line to fit to mine as well as springs

Got a White Line on my G, excellent mod but now can't lift the rear on the beam as the jack gets stuck between it and the rarb, small price to pay though.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Got a White Line on my G, excellent mod but now can't lift the rear on the beam as the jack gets stuck between it and the rarb, small price to pay though.
Makes a big difference tho, iv got 1 fitted to the van along with burg suspension, drives like it’s on rails

·
Registered
132 Posts
It does, i've still got mine set on the pussy setting but it still makes a big difference, i sprayed mine to give it a little extra protection as they don't seem to do well on our salty roads.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
It does, i've still got mine set on the pussy setting but it still makes a big difference, i sprayed mine to give it a little extra protection as they don't seem to do well on our salty roads.
Lol mines powder coated blue on the van, it’s on the 3rd highest setting lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
That finish will last longer than mine, i'm too fat to keep getting under (twice a year) to go from summer to winter settings plus i don't drive half as quickly as i used to.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
That finish will last longer than mine, i'm too fat to keep getting under (twice a year) to go from summer to winter settings plus i don't drive half as quickly as i used to.
I know the fat feeling, still drive like I stole it tho

1 - 20 of 49 Posts