Astra Owners Network banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Hi Stefan.
Is the car still OK?
I changed my crank seal, rocker cover and tested all the rest of the PCV system yet still have high crankcase vacuum and squeak/squeal noises when the engine is hot at idle or de- acceleration.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey Phil, yes all good on my side. Apart from what you mentioned I also changed the induction manifold on my side. I'm currently on a 5000 miles Euro trip and the car is behaving very well. However, the first day when I drove for 12 hours under high heat I got a code 89 on the dash and the turbine stopped working. This was fixed after restarting the engine and haven't had the issue since. I will check what the error was when back home next week.

Registered
Hey Phil, yes all good on my side. Apart from what you mentioned I also changed the induction manifold on my side. I'm currently on a 5000 miles Euro trip and the car is behaving very well. However, the first day when I drove for 12 hours under high heat I got a code 89 on the dash and the turbine stopped working. This was fixed after restarting the engine and haven't had the issue since. I will check what the error was when back home next week.
Thanks for the reply! I tested my intake manifold, the 'orange nipple' is still there and with the rocker cover off I can pull a vacuum on the head port that does to the intake manifold and I can blow through it. Which in my view means the valve is OK. A garage changed my rocker cover but I think it's faulty as I have even higher crankcase vacuum than I did with the original one. I don't have an Astra, it's a Meriva. But has the same 1.4 engine as your one. I have another rocker cover coming next week I hope that solves the problem as the car has only done 14500 miles! 2013 1.4 turbo.

Registered
Thanks for the reply! I tested my intake manifold, the 'orange nipple' is still there and with the rocker cover off I can pull a vacuum on the head port that does to the intake manifold and I can blow through it. Which in my view means the valve is OK. A garage changed my rocker cover but I think it's faulty as I have even higher crankcase vacuum than I did with the original one. I don't have an Astra, it's a Meriva. But has the same 1.4 engine as your one. I have another rocker cover coming next week I hope that solves the problem as the car has only done 14500 miles! 2013 1.4 turbo.
Hi PhilGG, was the orange nipple valve easily visible? My car is exhibiting the same symptoms, but I couldn't see the orange/red value. I checked the blowby hose, and the check valve in that appears to be fine.

Registered
Yes, easily visible. BUT I have an update! The garage that fitted the new cam cover fitted a faulty one. It was badly made and allowed a vacuum leak direct to the crankcase. If you have huge vacuum on removing your dipstick it's the same problem. I fitted an OEM cam cover and behold! No more noises and runs sweet. Garage admitted they bought a 拢40 eBay item!

Registered
Ah, I can't see anything at all, but tbh it's pretty oily so I just don't know if it's dirty, or missing! I was going to try a non-oem rocker cover, as I haven't been able to find an OEM one yet, but may wait until my local garage has had a look!

Registered
Ah, I can't see anything at all, but tbh it's pretty oily so I just don't know if it's dirty, or missing! I was going to try a non-oem rocker cover, as I haven't been able to find an OEM one yet, but may wait until my local garage has had a look!
Often the local garage will use software that says the intake needs replacing. ********! Just go out now. Start it up and see if you have a huge vacuum when you pull the dipstick.

Registered
Had no fault codes up up at all! Just this annoying squeek/chirp when warm. Doesn't always do it either, but normally manifests under load. I've tried removing the dipstick and there is some vacuum, but I wouldn't say huge. Should there be none? I've also checked the vent on the PCV (above the oil cap) but there's no hissing sound.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts