Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I hope you are doing well.

I'm back with a new Astra J issue. I've been experiencing this squeak on warm engine for quite a while now and nothing I've changed so far seems to be fixing it.

I've replaced the following:
  • V-ribbed Belt - this was the first to replace. no change. I did notice a difference to the one I had installed on car previously. This is 1398 mm and the previous was 1397. But I don't think that mm would do any difference. https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/ngk-spark-plug-408992460
  • Spark Plugs + Coil Pack at a suggestion of an Astra J Facebook Group member who fixed his issue by doing so.
  • Water Pump - I had high hopes with this as my mechanic was certain this is the issue after listening to the engine while the squeak exhibited.
Do you have any ideas/suggestion where might this be coming from? I've noticed that pressing on the gas pedal changes the pitch of the squeak. I've also noticed that interacting with the A/C (ON/OFF) when the engine is warm and exhibiting the issue also has an impact on the sound. Sometimes the sound stops completely, some other times it stops for a second or two and then comes back again. I am at a loss.

Link with video here

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Did you try running the engine with the v belt off ?
try pulling the dipstick out when it's running and squeaking to see if the squeak goes/changes pitch

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Valer, thanks for pitching.

I have not tried to run the engine with the belt off.

However, I have tried pulling the dipstick out and while I have not heard changes in the problematic noise, I did notice a change in the pressure of the engine judging by the sound it made when I pulled it out.

As I also have an issue with the fact that I don't really feel the car's 138 bhp, I was planning on changing the inlet manifold + rocker cover if this was your hunch / suggestion. Only next month though as it's an expensive replacement :LOL:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Running with the belt off eliminates all that mechanical gubbins in one go,so always worth trying,
inlet manifold ? just the rocker cover possibly,but the front crank seals can allow air to get sucked in causing a chirp,worth checking

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
if you keep going as you are youl have a new engine in no time .🙈 id get a bit of garden hose about a foot long put it to your ear and put it at all the parts and see if irs louder more than the rest of the parts dont just keep aying guess the parts. its a false economy

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If the engine has a cambelt, then maybe it's that that is causing the squeak?

Try spraying a very small amount of WD-40 on the belts to eliminate a dry running belt. A couple of times a year I have to spray my cambelt to stop a whispy type noise from occuring.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yes it could be the diaphragm in the cam cover if it's building up a lot of vacuum or possibly the crank seal if it's normal crankcase vacuum but the seal is split,it can be difficult to pin down the precise issue if the excess vacuum is only slight

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What would you recommend @valer? If I change the rocker cover but the problem doesn't lie only in the diaphragm, it might break again if I understand how this works

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Lots of options regarding the cam cover,new oem (best but expensive)
aftermarket cam cover (cheap but can be a problem to seal to head properly)
possibly an aftermarket diaphragm (oe not sold,cheapest way but need to be careful of brittle plastic in the cam cover)
i would eliminate the cover first though as it's the likeliest part to be faulty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everyone, payday just passed so I'm looking for a new inlet manifold for my Vauxhall. However, I'm having a slight issue with a retailer. According to spare parts catalog OPEL, original catalog OPEL, online catalog OPEL, car catalog OPEL the OE number is 55573168. I input my VIN and it ticks all the boxes on my side having the A14NET engine.
View attachment 36222

However, the guy I'm trying to buy it from, is telling me that I need to buy 25197575, which is almost double the price of the initial one.

Is there a way to confirm which one I need? Given the price I might take it step by step and replace the rocker cover first which I already bought.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey, it seems like it's the A/C Compressor or the Bearing at fault. really weird as it only exhibits when the engine is warm. but whatever. I really want to get rid of the squeak :LOL:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The A/C compressor replacement has not fixed the issue. Another £300 spent for no reason :( I'm not sure what to do anymore..will probably go to a Vauxhall Service Center and ask them to look into it

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Why ask for advice and then ignore it,and why did you not do this in the suggested order ?
you bought a cam cover but i see no post saying you've actually fitted it,and no post from you about the crank front seal ?
yet you may or may not fit an inlet manifold and now you've wasted money on an A/C compressor,
sorry i just don't get it.

Reactions: Stefan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry Valer, while I haven't posted about it, I did change the rocker cover. The induction manifold was replaced as well and got back the bhp lost along the time (differrent problem though,but the car is much more responsive now). I've wasted money on the A/C compressor because the service guy concluded that the problem lies in that.

Finally, I also bought the crank shaft seal, but haven't managed to change it yet. I believe this is what you suggested me to change
Hand Cosmetics Finger Eyewear Font

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
throwing good money after bad im affraid valer 🙈 if your standing infront of thehot running engine youve a 50/50 chance of finding the squeek if you use a peice of garden hose too your ear and move it about at moving parts that can help you suss it out .but to just keep throwing parts at it is crazy stuff imho..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. However, I took the advice of so called professionals that listened to the engine with a stetoscope while the issue was exhibiting. One said it's the water pump, the other one said it's the A/C compressor. I should've went for Valer's suggestions in the first place, and I played the cards wrongly. The last bit that Valer mentioned and I haven't done yet is the replacement of the crank shaft front seal. Again, one of the mechanics I've been to said that if there's no oil leak then the seal is good... I will replace the seal after the Easter break and take it from there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I hope you are doing well.

I'm back with a new Astra J issue. I've been experiencing this squeak on warm engine for quite a while now and nothing I've changed so far seems to be fixing it.

I've replaced the following:
  • V-ribbed Belt - this was the first to replace. no change. I did notice a difference to the one I had installed on car previously. This is 1398 mm and the previous was 1397. But I don't think that mm would do any difference. NGK Spark Plug | Euro Car Parts
  • Spark Plugs + Coil Pack at a suggestion of an Astra J Facebook Group member who fixed his issue by doing so.
  • Water Pump - I had high hopes with this as my mechanic was certain this is the issue after listening to the engine while the squeak exhibited.
Do you have any ideas/suggestion where might this be coming from? I've noticed that pressing on the gas pedal changes the pitch of the squeak. I've also noticed that interacting with the A/C (ON/OFF) when the engine is warm and exhibiting the issue also has an impact on the sound. Sometimes the sound stops completely, some other times it stops for a second or two and then comes back again. I am at a loss.

Link with video here

Many thanks in advance.
I had a similar issue last year and noticed that chirping/squeeking sound on my astra. Most noticeable when idling in traffic and after taking it to Vauxhall it was the crank shaft seal on mine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts