Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Thought its about time i made a post on the progress I'm making on my astra van.

Firstly i bought this van as a temp van as i wanted to buy a brand new van as i have just started up my own business again, but i got turned down on the finance but thats another long story!

I came across this van on ebay and thought that will do for a few months but now i actually love it and thought time to add a few bits to it.

Then i found this forum one night and now after seeing all the vans on here i want to do lots of bits to it :)

So below is the first picture i took after i cleaned it up a bit !!

So now heres my wish list of bits:

New Alloys (done)
Sat Nav etc (done)
Bluetooth (done)
Alarm (done)
blue smds on dash etc
cruise control (done)
Sports button (done but still not working)
Led lighting in rear (done)
Door lock on moving (done)
New tid (done now want gid)
New front bumper with se spoiler (Bought awaiting respray)
Side se skirts (Bought awaiting respray)
Rear se Skirt
Rear se boot spoiler
Fog lights (Bought with new bumper)
Vxr clocks (done)
Vxr Seats (done)
Lowering (not sure if i want to it now open to opinions)
Remap
New Clutch
New gearbox bearings!!

So far Thats all i can think of

Any recommendations always appreciated

Simon

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Updates so far....

Right so far i have done the following:

Added cruise control
Added comfort close
Added sense

Got my 18" alloys, not sure if i should lower it still looks ok to me?

I have also installed a new head unit with satnav and parrot handsfree unit

More to come :)

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More updates...

I have also added some amber strobes to the back window as i need to have these on some of the sites i work on,

need to get some for the front but not doing that till i get the new bumper done.

i had to put in some custom switches for the lights not sure if i like them yet.

i added the sports switch but sadly it don't work on mine, a few mods needed.

will keep updating

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
i like the switches :)

But id always go for a missile switch, cos i have a mental age of 3 :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome
Nice mods :) what do the extra switches do by centre cabin lights. ?
Sounds like you have done a lot of shopping for bits ! ?
What is it ? 1.7. 100 ? If so it won't support. Sports switch ?
As far as I know it was only the 150 1.9
But I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong
I'm john , I drive a battered high mileage standard se van :)

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

thanks for all your comments,

The switches are for the amber strobes i have installed, only the back ones are done at the moment front ones will be done soon.

yes it is a 1.7 cdti, didn't realise the sports switch wouldn't work, if i do the mods i have found, the two wires to the speedo then it should work maybe?

i know i need to change the clocks but that is on the list of bits to be done once i get hold of vxr clocks.

Still not sure if i should lower it as it is used for work lol.

Im a commercial gas engineer, i don't do any installing as such, i service, repair and commission large burners etc.

keeps me busy :)

·
Premium Member
59,266 Posts
Yes the sport button can work with the 1.7, it's all down to clocks, steering pump, etc.

It totally transforms the way the car drives

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been looking at new clocks but i need to find someone local that can program them for me as i heard its not just a case of swapping them over the data needs to be transferred from the eprom?

Plus the vxr clocks are hard to get hold of :(

Looks like the gearbox and clutch will have to be next starting to whine a little :(

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Vans coming on nice there mate (Y) if your like me and you use the van for work but at the same time you want to lower it a bit but not too much, then just get astra vxr springs, should lower it between 15-20ml & is still perfect for tools in the back & going over bumps.

And with 18s the vxr springs will be fine ;) can get vxr springs cheap from ebay or sometimes they come up for sale on here

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
OP, I would lowerm especially on those wheels,you may have got away with it on a different rim but there sure need less arch gap to work IMO

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think i will lower it eventually need to get a few more important bits done first.

Now the gear box is urgent just trying to find someone local to do it at the right price!

Also need to find someone that can reprogram clocks locally too.

Might have a play and put the wiring in ready for the fog lights and washer sensor this weekend depending on weather :)

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Just a quick question on lowering,

how much would you recommend I'm looking at 30mm?

don't want to go mad as i do use this for work
What type of work buddy?

This is madjohns on standard rears, with vxr front shocks & springs over 18s with 200kg in the back, which is a constant thing as a minimum. He did try Dap-Rs but it bottomed out.

his progress thread
http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk...ew-Van-miles&p=4065625&viewfull=1#post4065625

I myself will be buying custom springs if i ever get around to it :roll: They only £150 for a full set, any stiffness or height, because theres nothing out there off the shelf for the rear springs on WORKING vans. Theyre all designed for cars

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,703 Posts
Andy runs daps on his van with the 19s and there's no arch gap when it's loaded with all the show gear, but if your dealing with heavish loads 30mm eibachs should do you fine, but you will get away with the 50mm sportlines on the front if you want the nose down look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep i think about 30mm should do it,

not sure how much weight i carry in it but nothing that heavy apart from the odd nitrogen cylinders.

just added some Eibach to my wish list on ebay lol its a long list now lol.

should be going in to get the gearbox done next week then i need a speedo that works with the sports button and find someone in the south that can do the eprom reprogram all ready for when it goes in for the remap :)

just can't find anyone local that can reprogram the eprom :(

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
GazzaC maybe?

And keep your eye in the for sale section. Springs are commom. Im sure glen has a set in nw.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts