Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. After picking up my SRi last week, I've discovered that the sport button doesn't work. When I press it, the light doesn't come on and I haven't felt any difference to the throttle or steering.

I've tried pressing it when stationary, and when on the move - both to no avail.

Is there a technique involved to pressing this button that I should know about? Like, holding my nose and blinking five times while doing so?! ;)

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
Does the word sport light up when you switch your lights on along with the other buttons? And do those other buttons work? (door lock, hazzard etc)

If you press and hold the sport button down, does it switch the ESP system off like it should?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the word sport light up when you switch your lights on along with the other buttons? And do those other buttons work? (door lock, hazzard etc)

If you press and hold the sport button down, does it switch the ESP system off like it should?
All of the other lights on the buttons work - hazard, door lock, air con, etc. Just not the sport.

I don't know too much about this ESP to be honest. Just done a bit of searching via this site a few moments ago. I tried keeping the button pressed in for about 3 seconds, and din't notice any ESP message - though I wouldn't have been looking for it.

Another thing to add to my to do list, for in the morning.

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,381 Posts
Esp is a posh word for traction control, all it does is sence when the wheels start to spin it limits the engine so the wheels stop spinning,by turning it off you can wheel spin but not recommened in wet weather and little roads as the astra tends to like understeering lol as I found out
Hope that helps
Cheers

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
All of the other lights on the buttons work - hazard, door lock, air con, etc. Just not the sport.

I don't know too much about this ESP to be honest. Just done a bit of searching via this site a few moments ago. I tried keeping the button pressed in for about 3 seconds, and din't notice any ESP message - though I wouldn't have been looking for it.

Another thing to add to my to do list, for in the morning.
Well its not a loose connection if the others work as its one module (sport/hazard/door lock), ESP is standard on the SRi (and any car with a sport button from factory) when switched off by holing the sport button down, the symbol comes up in the top centre of the rev counter and ESP OFF comes up in the mileage display. If its not doing that job either, could be a faulty button, or as said above, a duff fuse :shrug:

Though I think I once remember someone else who had this same problem, may be worth a search and see if there are any old topics with info in :)

Sent from my Big_Bad_iPhone_5 using Tapatalk_2

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Are u supposed to hold the sport button down?, I've just been turnin it on and off
thats all you need to do, but press and hold it and it will turn the ESP off, this will show ESP Off in the display and put the amber warning tell tale on on the dash

the interesting thing with the sport button is that lots of people imagine its working on stuff like the suspension, when it doesnt unless they have IDS which is rare, and some people cant tell the difference at all.

It alters the following depending on spec

Steering response/weight (models with variable effort power steering)
throttle response (all models)
suspension stiffness (models with IDS+)

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,381 Posts
Push the button once to turn it on and push again to turn off, if you hold it down it will turn the esp off, what is ids and how would you know if you got it

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,704 Posts
Esp is a posh word for traction control, all it does is sence when the wheels start to spin it limits the engine so the wheels stop spinning,by turning it off you can wheel spin but not recommened in wet weather and little roads as the astra tends to like understeering lol as I found out
Hope that helps
Cheers
ESP/ESP+ is slightly more than that, yes it works with the traction control and ABS, but it does soo much more, its there to keep the car under control in adverse conditions like if you were to brake hard and swerve esp would come in to keep the car under control and to limit the oversteer/understeer you would get.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You should notice a difference in throttle response in the 1.8, I know for sure I do with mine when the sport button is on.

As above, how can you tell if you have IDS or not? The only difference I can feel with mine is the throttle response, can't feel any difference with the steering or anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts