Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now done 30,000 miles and I dont like the fact that the origonal spark plugs are still in the engine. I know things move on but when I started motoring the plugs needed changing every 12,000 miles.
What do you recomend for my 1.4Turbo SRi 5door, I ALWAYS used Champion but can't seem to find out the number of their plugs for my motor, I am looking for the better end / quality all I could see was NGK plugs (IFR7X7G) if that means anything. I always thought NGK were a bit poore quality, unless they have changed and uped their game.

I have also found DENSO plugs IK16 has anyone heard of these and what do you think?

Advice please
Regards Migwell

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I always used the GM plugs in my petrol , great value and never missed a beat. I also experimented with fancy, expensive plugs in the past but never noticed a difference. .

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Denso plugs are good plugs!

A lot of French cars such a Renaults or Peugeots use them from factory.
In fact, my friends Clio 172 runs badly without them and good news for him... they aren't expensive.

Tbh, I would also recommend sticking with the same plug the manufactured designed the engine to have. So if Vauxhall used their own plugs... buy them.

Working for a car parts dealer, I have grown a hatred for Champions. People buy them cos they tend to be cheaper but in fact I think very little of them.

The best plugs are:
NGK
Denso
Bosch
Beru
Champion

(that's probably in ascending order... the best being NGK)

I wouldn't touch a plug if it wasn't from one of them brands unless its an OEM plug.

...and although I dislike Champion, I changed the plugs in my mums 206 the other week and because the car hasn't been used much it hasn't been serviced in over 45k (8 years!) and when I pulled the plugs out there was no electrode left on any of them and the gap was huge... yet the car ran pretty good baring the odd misfire.

Yet guess what? They were Champions, so maybe they aren't as bad as I say.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
the plugs for the astra j are GM champion stamped plugs and well over priced
why pay £75 for them as they can be picked up for £15
my plugs went after 18k fouled plugs
no way would they have lasted the 40k or 4 years
move on to the champion eon 2 plugs the difference was very noticeable
very impressed and for under £20 they will get changed every year,

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
the plugs for the astra j are GM champion stamped plugs and well over priced
why pay £75 for them as they can be picked up for £15
my plugs went after 18k fouled plugs
no way would they have lasted the 40k or 4 years
move on to the champion eon 2 plugs the difference was very noticeable
very impressed and for under £20 they will get changed every year,
Trade club ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. I find what you say very interesting to say the least, having always used champion's in the past I was surprised, but after all you are the guys who know. Thank you for all your comments. I understand what you say.
Regards Migwell

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So GM plugs are rebranded Champions?
Annoying.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
A google search says GM plugs are made by AC Delco.

Ooooooooh the contradictions hahah

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
the astra j 1.4 and 1.6 use champion GM stamped plugs
and the 1.4 turbo and 1.6 turbo use NGK GM stamped plugs
so its up to you really so you can go to the dealers and pay premium prices for the GM stamped plugs
or go get the same champion or NGK plugs with out the GM stamp for much cheaper
from motor world halfords etc,
i like to change my plugs every year as part of my annual service
so doing it like that buying the champion plugs from someone other than the dealer saves me money
and there still the correct plugs at the end of the day.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi tucpal can you tell me the number of the plugs for the 1.4Turbo, then I will have a walk up to Halfrords. They are just 1/2 mile up the road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts