Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,i'm new to this site and have joint on behalf of my daughter ,who is due to pick up her 2012 SRI in a few days .
I have noticed that the car has not got a spare wheel and comes with the repair pack ,i'd like to remove that and have a space saver spare instead .My question is ,i can buy the complete pack from Ebay ,which comes with ,wheel and the centre storage piece that houses the jack ,wheel spanner etc and the fixing bolt .Can i just remove the piece that is in the boot that holds the repair kit ? and if so ,is it fixed in ,or has it got to be somehow cut out .I'd take it that there is also a threaded centre piece that the large bolt screws into to hold everything down.
Thanks .Hope i've explained it ok.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
3 or 5 door hatch or estate?
has the car got a spare wheel well or flat floor?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Also what engine is it, as there are 2 different types of braking system, which means you'll need to get the correct spare wheel for it. J60 and J67

See info copied from the reference section:-

For Astra J 5-door hatchback, Sports Tourer and 4-door notchback with 1.4, 1.6, 1.4T and 1.3CDTi engines (J67 braking system):
Space-saver spare: 4J x 16 offset ?? (BNX), tyre 115/70R16

For Astra J 5-door hatchback, Sports Tourer and 4-door notchback with 1.6T, 1.6CDTi, 1.7CDTi and 2.0CDTi (inc Bi-Turbo) engines (J60 braking system):
Space-saver spare: 4J x 16 offset ?? (FTW), tyre 115/70R16

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts .Have not got the car yet but ,it's a 5 door SRI 1.6L 2012 and i believe that it has a tyre well . I just dont want my daughter to not have a proper tyre as a spare .
Thanks

·
Registered
Astra j estate sri
349 Posts
mines astra j estate sri 2014 has no spare tyres but it come with tyre foam

so i bought a full size wheel and jack for my astra j

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My daughter hasnt got the car yet ,so i'm not sure if the full size wheel will sit flush in the wheel well .If it's anything like my Nissan the full size wheel wont sit flush with the floor that covers that area.
I would use a space saver ,which hopefully would get me to a garage to have the problem sorted straight away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All i'd be after is a spare wheel set that would get her out of trouble ,instead of using the foam stuff and as long as it sits flush in the boot .............sorted. Just got to find a suitable kit .

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I wouldn't fret about it having to be full sized,it'll probably just sit in the boot without ever being used before the car gets p-exed or scrapped some years down the line,
imo anything is better than foam (y)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
All i'd be after is a spare wheel set that would get her out of trouble ,instead of using the foam stuff and as long as it sits flush in the boot .............sorted. Just got to find a suitable kit .
When I replaced my tyre inflation system with a space saver spare wheel, the wheel sat slightly proud of the floor, and I had to pack around the outside edges with approx. 20mm thick high density foam so that the original boot carpet sat flush.

Providing the car that's being bought is a 1.6 petrol, and not a 1.6 turbo, then you'll need the spare wheel for the J67 braking system.
Space-saver spare: 4J x 16 offset ?? (BNX), tyre 115/70R16

·
Registered
Astra j estate sri
349 Posts
My daughter hasnt got the car yet ,so i'm not sure if the full size wheel will sit flush in the wheel well .If it's anything like my Nissan the full size wheel wont sit flush with the floor that covers that area.
I would use a space saver ,which hopefully would get me to a garage to have the problem sorted straight away.
Unsure it will fit in boot well....take off the wheel from car then put in boot close the floor in boot, so you know boot well will take full size tyre

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not familiar with Vauxhalls and didnt know that a breaking system would affect what spare you use .Sorry if i'm sounding a bit thick but ,when i've bought space savers for other makes it's just been down to make ,model and year and at times engine size.

·
Registered
Astra j estate sri
349 Posts
I'm not familiar with Vauxhalls and didnt know that a breaking system would affect what spare you use .Sorry if i'm sounding a bit thick but ,when i've bought space savers for other makes it's just been down to make ,model and year and at times engine size.
braking system is J67 front disc size 276mm for astra j 1.6 and diesel j60 has bigger disc size 300mm..if bought spare wheel try to fit it...but turn out is wrong wheel size because astra j 1.6 sri tyre size 215/50R17 and diesel is 225/50R17
offset different tyre will catching surround area of the wheel...must get same wheel size as the ones on the car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts