Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have an astra 1.9 cdti 06 plate (150) and iv just had the car back after having a new inlet manifold!.. Joy!. I also had the cam belt done at the same time. The car has covered 51k and the last few days i have started to notice a slight whining, droning noise. I dont seem to be getting any flywheel clatter or judder and as for the gearbox... no movement in the stick and gear changes are as smooth as ever. I only tend to notice the noise after accelerating and letting off the accelerator (still in gear). The noise still stays there even if i press the clutch pedal and take the car out of gear and coast. Iv listened to a few gear box related noises on youtube and they all seem to sound like an aeroplane propeller wheras my noise does seem to sound more like a wheel bearing but that can be ruled out. The noise is intermittent and is only very faint but now i know its there im constantly listening and making me paranoid. Has anyone ever experienced this?
thanks guyssss :(
phil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've done all the checks with jacking the car up and getting someone to listen whilst i drive the wheels and it all sounds good. i suppose it still could be the wheel bearing though. i will try and get a recording tonight. Its just getting the noise to occur.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like tyres out of shape and making that noise, does it change with road surfaces?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like tyres out of shape and making that noise, does it change with road surfaces?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
im not too sure its tyre related, it happens intermittently whatever the road surface. It can be heard mostly at 5 and 25 seconds. It's the sort of high pitch noise. sorry for such a poor recording.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,717 Posts
You don't by any chance have the air con on and set to cool? I know mines seems to have a slight whine when the air-conn is cooling the air, guessing it could be the compressor pulley, and does it regardless of ingear or out of gear, turn the air-conn off it goes off with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't by any chance have the air con on and set to cool? I know mines seems to have a slight whine when the air-conn is cooling the air, guessing it could be the compressor pulley, and does it regardless of ingear or out of gear, turn the air-conn off it goes off with it.
i dont have the aircon on no,, nor the fans and its still there. The aircon doesnt work though, i just guess it needs a regas. Mine does if it also regardless of in gear or out of gear / clutch engaged or disengaged!.... Its driving me crazyy!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
sounds box related to me, you dont need any gearstick movement for the bearings to be on their way out. When driving does it sound like its coming from the passenger side wheel area?

Jack the front of the car up and support it securely on both sides so both wheels are well off the florr. Then start the car and work up through the gears with someone listening, this will help pinpoint the location. The tc will try and kick in so just keep the revs down

·
Registered
273 Posts
Unfortunately, dud to the work PC not having speakers, I could not listen to your video but it sounds exactly like mine - a very faint whine all of the time even just rolling down a hill with the clutch dipped it makes the same noise. Mine is now starting to clatter a bit from time to time and so it's the gearbox I think mate. Stick it in first and if when you pull off, the stick moves, I think that is your answer. Being careful though, you should get a bit more life out of it until it starts to make a racket! I need to check prices on mine later today but I guess it aint gonna be nice! Incidentally, mine changes gear still nice and smooth and never crunches, even when going into reverse and so I would not say that that's a symptom to look for all of the time.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were there any updates with this? I ha a recon box put in 2 months ago and I'm getting this noise so interested on what the root cause was in your case? Or of course other opinions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts