Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: For my Astra Mk5 do I have to take out the whole headlight to fit LEDs bulbs for the sidelight?

I can't get my hand in that cap under the bonnet whatsoever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
some people can..i've never tried on the normal lights as i have the bi xenons so my sidelight is closest and in a very reachable place for my hand.

Otherwise im guessing you might have to take the light unit out, just unscrew it and pull it out slightly to give yourself more room!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some people can..i've never tried on the normal lights as i have the bi xenons so my sidelight is closest and in a very reachable place for my hand.

Otherwise im guessing you might have to take the light unit out, just unscrew it and pull it out slightly to give yourself more room!
Thanks mate

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
For the sidelights theres no need to take the unit out, just take the rubber cap off, lightly rug in the wires/holder and it'll pop out.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the sidelights theres no need to take the unit out, just take the rubber cap off, lightly rug in the wires/holder and it'll pop out.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Seriously I gave it a good pull but nothing, don't wanna rip the wires out! But will try again when it's not raining.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,716 Posts
make sure its the side lights your pulling and not the main beam, sidelights are just clipped in, main beam are held in place with a metal clip and are fairly close to the sidelights.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I can confirm that I CANNOT fit these sidelights! I swear I'm not an incompetent soul lol.

My hands just don't fit in the (very small) gap to get hold of those clips properly... And I have small hands!

When I loosened the unit I still could get to it. Can someone please shed some light...?
-
After I gave up on the lights I changed my washer jets to the insignia ones... I am now happier :) Surely the sidelights can't be more difficult than the washer jets?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You just need to find somebody more dexterous than yourself. Ive changed mine and ive ot medium size hands, it is difficult but not impossible

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You just need to find somebody more dexterous than yourself. Ive changed mine and ive ot medium size hands, it is difficult but not impossible
I had to look up dexterous, ha. I'd hate to think that I am to be honest. So I'm not gonna give up :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
the trick is to pull and turn at the same time ;) I forget which way... I think they go clockwise but dont quote me on that. Once they are out you can just push them back in without turning them (Y)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
they just put out make sure you are pulling the correct one its the one at the top it will pop out i have fairly big hands n i have no problem i have leds side lights on mine, just make sure if you have the canbus system that the side lights have the canbus error free system in them or they wont work or will throw up error lights up on the dash

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have big hands and have done it :) try your side light at the air box first to see what you are doing, there is more room at it. Just pull of the hose and if you wish 1 torx I think pulls out the air filter

·
Registered
232 Posts
As has been said mate if you are pulling the correct wires/unit it should just pop out. Dont be scared to give it a bit of pressure but obviously don't yank it lol

I have quite big hands and managed alright :)

Just double check you are defo pulling the right bit mate ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354460462.052141.jpg Wahaayyyy finally did it! Waited for the rain to stop and the sub zero temperatures... Thanks to those who believed in me ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts