Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my car has started to wobble when braking. it only does it when braking hardish at speed. lower speeds its ok.

googleing come up as warped discs.

but then some sites saying you cant warp discs.

I dont push the brakes hard at all

I have Mtec drilled/grooved discs. around 1 year old

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
The issue is called warped discs despite some wisdom dictating that the disc isn't actually warped. It certainly sounds like that to me

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not good... only had them since June 2015

Gonna take them of and give them a clean to see if that helps. cant afford more cost £££ to replace them

also emailed MTEC as should last longer then this

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
They'll most likely say it's misuse. You can knacker discs and pads after a few miles depending on how you treat them

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I changed my brakes less than 6 months ago because of this, they werent obvious to the eye warped until put on a flat surface and they were badly lipped, my brake pads were in a mess too, worn in all sorts of funny shapes, and now they are doing it again :'(
Still waiting for @tomelmer to look at them though so they might be fixed by christmas.....:couch:

Before any sarcy comments, no its not my driving :lol:

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
cause your a safe considerate driver, obeying all road laws :roll:

may not be warped disks at all but the symtoms and fix is the same( new disks) single piston calipers seem to suffer from this more than most where the pad seems to either only touch part of the disk, so you get a clean area and then an area not tocuhed by the pad and so rust builds up which over time obv wonlt form unifersally so can casue the disk to become unbalanced and the judder your feeling is the pad skimming over the rust.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I had the same problem on my old Astra - the disks were donald ducked and had a massive lip which is what was causing it.

I also like your spelling of 'universally' Dov :lol:

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never had this before on any of my other cars. This is the first time I have had Mtec brakes...

I need to paint the calipers anyway so going to take them apart and clean them up to see how they are

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I've never had this before on any of my other cars. This is the first time I have had Mtec brakes...

I need to paint the calipers anyway so going to take them apart and clean them up to see how they are
ive always had Mtec and they have been fine, but ive destroyed 2 sets within 6 months now :shrug:
Interesting to hear yours are mtec too.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive always had Mtec and they have been fine, but ive destroyed 2 sets within 6 months now :shrug:
Interesting to hear yours are mtec too.
well I usually had stock discs etc but thought I would try these. last time on my Astra had EBC and they where spot on.

MTEC replied to say they are out of warranty but to clean them up and do some other things and then let them know to see what they will say(probably tough luck lol)

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was practicing braking today on the way home, in normal braking they seem to be fine BUT if i'm breaking from speed(60/70) thats when I can feel the shake....

Going to strip them down on sat. paint the calipers and fit the wheel spacers so lots to do this weekend

1 - 20 of 38 Posts