Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Moving away to be with the one i love. Love comes at a cost, I'll be traveling 140 miles a day. I want be changing my oil and filters every 10,000 miles and cleaning the the egr valve. Is there anything else which you think i should do?

Notice I've put I WANT to be! Now I've never worked a any vehicles what so ever. But i am a very hands on person, I'm a plumber so i ok when it comes to working with my hands as long as i have clear and detailed instructions.

So Realistically is it possible for me to do this if i purchase a Haynes manual and do a little bit of web surfing?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Who's servicing who ?? Lol
Oil filter the right spec oil , air filter , fuel filter coolant change, brake fluid check or change if due, check brakes etc
All do able if your competent ? And know one end of a spanner to a screw driver . You will also need a jack and axle stands.
Then you you have to get rid of the old oil . A good local garage may do all that for less then £200.00 ?

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
If I was travelling 140 miles a day to be with the one I love, I'd want servicing a damn site more often than 10000 miles!

Anyway, if even I can do an oil change and get to a 1.9's EGR, so can you. I have no idea when it comes to practical stuff (as an economist and academic by trade), and usually when I take something apart it stays apart until I pay someone to fix it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Those things you've pointed out are easily doable. I'd probably want to change the oil around every 6k miles, but 10k would be ok.
Haynes manuals are good and definitely a worthwhile investment.
There are some great guides on here too, just use the search function.
Probably the biggest investment will be the tools, I.E, jack & axle stands. (don't use the jack supplied with the car) or a set of ramps. Plus the relevant tools for the car such as torx bits, ratchets etc.. You've probably got most though from being a plumber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts