Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a misleading piece of information. It doesn't mean that at all.

There was me thinking the garage forgot to reset the service reminder after it was serviced 2 weeks ago.

Just found out that the car is telling me it has a fault (engine management light) and this is Vauxhall's way of telling people. Whatever happened to the car/spanner light that people mistook for the service light?

To me "Service Vehicle Soon" means just that. It needs a service.

So now back to the garage for a fault diagnosis and a spanking of my wallet I bet. Warranty ran out 4 days ago too. I do hope Vauxhall give some kind of goodwill gesture for this.

I'm suspecting it's a faulty glowplug, as the weather was colder yesterday. Will find out on Thursday.

On a separate note, am I right in thinking the Op-Com reader that I have won't work on the Astra-J?

·
3,890 Posts
I totally agree that the message is badly worded and misleading as a result. It should say "Investigate fault" or something like that.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tried my Op-Com on it last night. Nothing to lose I thought.

I know we're not to discuss too much on here about Op-Com, but I'm not asking for advice about it so hopefully it's ok to describe my experience of using it on the J model?

I did an auto search and it thought my vehicle was a VX220 speedster. It did however find the correct engine code. I then manually entered the car details, but it only listed up until 2010 for the Astra-J. I selected this and the engine code (A20DTH) and off it went looking for codes.

It came up with P0672-00, which relates to glowplug cylinder 2.

It also came up with code P0633-00, which is immobiliser key not programmed. This was just a stored but non current code though. I had a new key last week and I'm guessing the technician forgot to erase the code after programming in the new key?

Anyway, here's hoping Vauxhall will sort out the glowplug problem for nothing as the car is only a few days out of warranty. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A glow plug can't be much dollar though can it? Aren't thy similar to spark plugs for petrol engines? Surely only £15 - £20.

·
A.O.N. Resident Kidnapper
1,558 Posts
Yeah I've had that message briefly pop up on screen and then vanish on my J VXR, totally useless massage!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A glow plug can't be much dollar though can it? Aren't thy similar to spark plugs for petrol engines? Surely only £15 - £20.
Different types though. The ones for Start / Stop are dearer for example. And some also have pressure sensors.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glow plugs aren't a warranty item
Thanks. Garage has just told me that this morning, but they're going to approach Vauxhall anyway to see what they say. Car has only done 26,000 miles. Shouldn't fail in that short amount of time. That's of course if my code reader is correct and they don't find anything else.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well it was glowplug No.2. And it had to be one of the expensive pressure sensor ones that failed.

As has been mentioned, warranty didn't cover it. They recommended replacing just the faulty one, as a glowplug will either work or it won't. If any of the others fail in the near future then have the other 3 replaced.

Total repair cost. £152 !! And that was with my 25% Masterfit discount.

Glowplug was something like £76 +vat. 0.8 of an hour for the diagnosis, and 0.4 of an hour to replace the plug.

Now that I know my Op-Com was correct, at least I won't have to pay any diagnostic fee in the future.

Shame it wasn't one of the normal glowplugs, as they're only something like £15. Apparently my 2.0 CDTi has 2 normal plugs, and 2 pressure sensor plugs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Its always the way one of the expensive ones go! Mind with the little mileage the car has done you would expect them to last longer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts