Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started noticing a low rumbling/cracking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. It's fine if the road is smooth, no undulations- motorways etc, but seems to come back if there's any bumps, bad surface etc.
any ideas guys?

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Certainly sounds like that. Really need to get it on a ramp and swing on the suspension to see what bangs

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it possibly be the tyres. I've got mitchellins on all around but they're a couple of years old now and approaching the tread limit.

·
3,891 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might be worth a look in this thread in case anything is relevant:
This is a most excellent thread here and reading it has led me to find the cause of my noise. It's the plastic cover over the shock absorber that's rattling. As soon as I shoogled the thing I instantly recognised the noise. Off to b and q tomorrow to get some pipe insulation as per you tube video. Thanks for all your input guys it's most appreciated.

·
3,891 Posts
Great news! An easy fix then. Glad we could help!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys an update on my rumbling noise. I've been doing various things which have in fact helped to eradicate the rumbling noise from what now seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle. I decided to put the motor into my local garage yesterday for a full check over regarding the noise. The mechanic has informed me that the noise is coming from the front calipers. They are rattling and it is being caused by a small rubber bush being missing from both pins. The bush slides over a small recess on the caliper pin and helps to stop the caliper from rattling. I've ordered a complete set for the front and rear from Vauxhall. Does anyone know where the pin with the rubber bush goes on the caliper? Is it the top pin or the bottom pin?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok just an update, I picked up 8 new caliper guide pins today from Vauxhall(4 had the rubber bushing on them)
fitted today and the noise has completely gone. Who would have thought something so small could make such a difference. Has totally transformed how the car sounds and drives and brakes. As a side note I learned that copper grease should never be used to grease these guide pins as its petroleum based it will erode or swell anything rubber through time. I used silicon grease on mine.
I also learned that the pin with the rubber bushing goes on the bottom of the caliper.

·
3,891 Posts
Ok just an update, I picked up 8 new caliper guide pins today from Vauxhall(4 had the rubber bushing on them)
fitted today and the noise has completely gone. Who would have thought something so small could make such a difference. Has totally transformed how the car sounds and drives and brakes. As a side note I learned that copper grease should never be used to grease these guide pins as its petroleum based it will erode or swell anything rubber through time. I used silicon grease on mine.
I also learned that the pin with the rubber bushing goes on the bottom of the caliper.
Thanks for coming back with the info - I'm sure this will come in handy for others :thumbs:

·
3,891 Posts

·
3,891 Posts
I still have the photos originally hosted on imageshack.
Do you have a way to host them on this forum and how can I edit the post?
For photo hosting we normally recommend PhotoBucket. If you don't have an account then you could send the pictures to me (PM me for my email address) and I'll put them on my photobucket account.

I think there's a time limit on users editing posts, but I can still edit it as moderator. I've just gone in and put a reference next to each missing image so if you can provide the pictures numbered like that then I can edit the post again to put the right pictures in the right places.

Or perhaps it's better to do a new write up to include the additional information that you later found...

In any case, the info you have contributed is excellent so thank you for that :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts