Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I have a Vauxhall Astra 2005 1.4 Petrol Manual 5 Door Hatchback. Engine is Z14XEP.

I have replaced coil pack, spark plugs, cleaned egr valve, cleaned throttle body, checked MAF sensor, oil and filter change, air filter renewed, pollen filter renewed, replaced pre cat 02 sensor, unplugged post cat 02 sensor.. still having the rough idle. When the car starts it has a rough idle, I can Rev it a few times and it seems to go away. The rev needle goes a bit crazy but it seems as car warms up or after few high revs it goes, if not revved I think a good 10 mins and it goes. Never had this issue. If I was to drive off while the car has a rough idle there is a loud tapping noise as I accelerate it’s quite a significant noise and gets faster and louder!??

I’m thinking of replacing the coolant temperature sensor, crankshaft and camshaft sensor? Please could you let me know where I can find all these 3 sensors? Please let me know you have any other thoughts on this. Please could you point to where I can find these 3 sensors in the pic attached found online of same engine. Thank you so much
CCD435A2-2AE3-4528-837F-C2F18FB87640.jpeg

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi
Is there any suction on the oil cap making it hard to remove with engine running and can you remove dip stick easy with engine running?

·
Registered
284 Posts
No point throwing parts at it blindly especially sensors like CTS, camshaft etc without checking for faults codes and live data. With the tapping noise iteself likely to be the engine being the root cause of problems

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Is there any suction on the oil cap making it hard to remove with engine running and can you remove dip stick easy with engine running?
Hi thank you so much for your reply.
Hi
Thank you for getting back to me. So when the car is started and there’s a rough idle, I checked and the oil cap has suction pressure, but dipstick has no pressure. And then after I Rev the car a bit for the rough idle to go, the oil cap still has suction pressure and the oil dipstick had slight pressure. Please let me know your thoughts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No point throwing parts at it blindly especially sensors like CTS, camshaft etc without checking for faults codes and live data. With the tapping noise iteself likely to be the engine being the root cause of problems
So for live data on 02 sensors what should I be looking for?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi thank you so much for your reply.

Thank you for getting back to me. So when the car is started and there’s a rough idle, I checked and the oil cap has suction pressure, but dipstick has no pressure. And then after I Rev the car a bit for the rough idle to go, the oil cap still has suction pressure and the oil dipstick had slight pressure. Please let me know your thoughts
Crankcake breather might be blocked inside like this thread:
Z14XEP PCV valve. Need to open up the rocker.

If not give it a compression test

Live data for O2 sensors you are looking at fuel trims, if it is in closed / open loops etc.

Ive linked a few videos to help

. This video has stuff on fuel trims too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts