Astra Owners Network banner
201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I think that owners with factory power folding mirros have an option in comfort settings to do this , can
someone with factory power folding mirros confirm this ?
The comfort settings for mirrors are only available with the seat memory control, and then not always even with that.

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts
Just to confirm: the factory fit and the as-per-factory-fit retrofit powerfold mirrors do not fold by command of the fob or with the locking - they only fold by press of the mirror control on the drivers door. This is because there is no connection to the canbus as discussed earlier in this thread. Insignias with memory seats can do it but they have a different dwitch unit which does connect to the canbus.

To make an Astra J auto fold the mirrors we need to work out two things:
(1) How to do it using a relay kit
(2) Where to get a signal from to control the relay kit

It looks like the guy in the video above has sorted it, so hopefully he will reply to Rusty's question on YouTube!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Anyone thought about asking GazzaC? His family do this kind of thing for the H's. They've built looms for the H's to auto fold on the key.

His family should be able to help.

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear all,

after I retrofit the Powerfolding mirrors I started engineering of an AutoPowerFolding Modul for my Astar-J 5T.
I study and measure the mirror switch and found out that all the electronics for powering the mirror motors is still inside this switch.
There is also an microcontroller inside. Right now I found an easy solutiuon for AutoPowerFolding the mirrors by doubleclick the "open" oder "close" function of the remote control.

Things you need for AutoPowerFolding:
Modified Mirrorswitch
2 Signals from the door lock (pin 2 and 3 LHD // Pin 7 and 8 RHD)
AutoPowerFold Modul

Here you´ll find an modification instruction for the mirror switch in english: http://www.jn-elektronik.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Modification-instructions-mirror-switch.pdf

Here is a Video of the function:

And here the built-in instruction (only german, but I believe for this kod you only need the pictures): Einbauanleitung-AutoPowerFold-Modul-V1.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
HOW TO RETRO FIT POWER FOLD.

for Astra j and GTC.

this will only work if you have a fuse in position 6 on your fuse box in the front for heated mirrors so if you have manual wing mirrors you would have change your loom for electric heated mirrors if you have electric heated mirrors this will work.
The first thing you will have to do is check the connector from your door loom that connects to your car body.
disconnect your battery to be on the safe side then remove the rubber boot and disconnect the connector.
from the main door loom that goes from the door to your car body.

When you have the connector apart get a mirror and look at the connector on the car body, and look for these two terminal pin,s on row 37, and 38, position 11, and 12, row 37 and 38 are marked on the female connector and 11 and 12 are marked on the male connector.

Please note that this picture is upside down.
If you have the pin,s in that location 11 and 12 on the female side. then all is good to proceed.
you will have to purchase two power fold wing mirrors, and a power fold switch, and a door loom drivers side to get the terminal pin,s you need, any drivers side loom will do as long as it has standard electric mirrors.
If and when anyone sorts out where to purchase the terminal pin,s them you will only need to get them not the loom.
The first thing you will have to do is to remove 4 terminal pin,s from the main connector on the door loom you have just purchased.

then remove two pin,s from the switch connector.

And then remove 4 pin,s from the mirror connector.

Here's a picture of power fold mirror and the switch and mirror connector and the wires for the main connector. That were removed from the loom i purchased.

and hers a picture of the new looms i have made up for drivers and passenger side with all terminal pin,s connected.

Make a note of position 11 and 12 from the wires you have removed from your connectors on the loom.
then remove your door card. follow how to thread for door card removal.

Remove the rubber boot from the door and disconnect the connector, pulling the pink clip down and pull the connector out.

You will need to remove the 10mm bolt from the door damper for some extra room, make a small cut in the rubber boot and pull the two wires through it.
warning do not close the door when the door damper has the bolt out it will go into the door and is a nightmare to get back out.

Note i have labeled the correct wires on the cables, so when its threaded through the door i know what wires go where.
connect the first two terminal pin,s in to position 11 and 12 on your connector.

Thread these wires through the rubber boot and into the door then refit the rubber boot and connect the connector back up. and put the 10mm bolt back in place.
remove the screw from your speaker and take the speaker out, this will give you access to the wire you have put in to the door and make a small hole in the rubber seal and push the wire through that,
make sure the wire in the door is not obstructing the window when it opens and closes.

Then disconnect the mirror conector and add the two wires you have pulled through the door, add wires in these locations. marked BW and PY.

12. goes to position marked .PY. and .11. goes to position marked .BW.
Then reconnect the connector. and then splice two new wires into the wires marked 11 and 12 on the wires you have just added to the connector for the mirror, label the new wires 11 and 12 and add the terminal pin,s on the end of the two new wires and add them to your mirror switch connector.

Add 11 to position marked BW and add 12 to position marked PY.
The connector on the right is what your old connector looks like. The connector on the left is what the connector looks like with new wires added.
and thats the hard part done tape up all the wires you have added to the loom to keep them nice and tidy.
make sure all exposed connectors and joined cables are taped for safety.
and all added pin,s are safely fitted with a simple pull push test.
then remove your old mirror switch from your door card and add the new power fold switch.

disconnect the connector for the mirror and push the rubber seal into the door with the connector. And then take the plastic caps off for access to two 10mm bolts and remove them.

pull the mirror away from the car and pull the cable and connector out of the small hole.

then refit your new power fold wing mirror push the connector and cable back through the small hole. if you put your hand up through the speaker hole you will get hold of the cable and refit it to the door and connect back up.
put your door card back on and you now have working power fold mirror push the switch down and they close in to the car and push down again and they fold back out.
so thats the driver side done.

passenger side power mirror and loom that i made

passenger side remove the door card
add two pins to position 11 and 12 in the main connector

pull the wires through the door and add the two wires to the mirror connector

add 12 to position marked PY and add 11 to position marked BW
fit your new mirror refit the door card and thats it. :)
you now have both working power fold mirrors. :thumbs:
Hello guys from Greece!
Im going to purchase a pair of folding mirrors for my astra j .
Thank you so much for the guide!
Can you please upload pictures again? Because I don't see any .. it would be so helpful 😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dear all,

after I retrofit the Powerfolding mirrors I started engineering of an AutoPowerFolding Modul for my Astar-J 5T.
I study and measure the mirror switch and found out that all the electronics for powering the mirror motors is still inside this switch.
There is also an microcontroller inside. Right now I found an easy solutiuon for AutoPowerFolding the mirrors by doubleclick the "open" oder "close" function of the remote control.

Things you need for AutoPowerFolding:
Modified Mirrorswitch
2 Signals from the door lock (pin 2 and 3 LHD // Pin 7 and 8 RHD)
AutoPowerFold Modul

Here you´ll find an modification instruction for the mirror switch in english: http://www.jn-elektronik.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Modification-instructions-mirror-switch.pdf

Here is a Video of the function:

And here the built-in instruction (only german, but I believe for this kod you only need the pictures): Einbauanleitung-AutoPowerFold-Modul-V1.00
Hi.. how did you manage to make it work with double press on the remote key? all the auto folding modules I have seen will have the lock signal and fold the mirrors on the first press. If I understood corectly this is managed by this specific module, right? It seems this modules gets in 'alert' after first click and keep this alert for 4seconds and if you press again it will release the signal for the mirrors....Am I right?

btw, I re-post the links with the instructions since the previous one is no longer working (link for the installation after you have modified the switch:
german: http://www.jn-elektronik.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Einbauanleitung-AutoPowerFold-Modul-V1.00.pdf
english: http://www.jn-elektronik.de/wp-cont...n-instructions-AutoPowerFold-module-V1.00.pdf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.. how did you manage to make it work with double press on the remote key? all the auto folding modules I have seen will have the lock signal and fold the mirrors on the first press. If I understood corectly this is managed by this specific module, right? It seems this modules gets in 'alert' after first click and keep this alert for 4seconds and if you press again it will release the signal for the mirrors....Am I right?

btw, I re-post the links with the instructions since the previous one is no longer working (link for the installation after you have modified the switch:
german: http://www.jn-elektronik.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Einbauanleitung-AutoPowerFold-Modul-V1.00.pdf
english: http://www.jn-elektronik.de/wp-cont...n-instructions-AutoPowerFold-module-V1.00.pdf
Hi,
sorry for the really late response but I did not get a message.
You understood correctly. With the new module V3 you can either choose by dip switch the numbers of pressing the fob for open/close,
e.g. 1 time close, 1time open // 2 times close, 1 time open // 1 time close, 2 times open // 2 times close, 2 times open

BR
Jens

201 - 213 of 213 Posts