Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once again I'm looking to upgrade something that I omitted from the order process when I bought my car. Namely, the ability to push the mirror button and have the mirrors fold in or out. I haven't figured these out yet, but as I do the info will be posted up here.

So far here are the facts as I know them:

• The button is present on the switch mechanism even if you don't have folding mirrors fitted, so that shouldn't need replacing.
  • The wiring loom to the mirrors with the folding mechanism has a 7-pin plug. I am assuming it's the same connector for the non-folding, just perhaps with extra wiring to power the motor.

Questions I need to answer:

• Is there any programming required to the on board software to recognise/allow the folding mirrors to work? I am thinking not, but needs confirming.
  • Any modification needed to the interior wiring, or if the wires are there as standard.
  • Part numbers and availablility of the motor mechanism part of the mirror, if it differs at all in shape/moulding from the non folding mirrors and if other parts can fit.
  • How much the parts will be from VX, (confirmed they are not discountable under trade club)
  • Mirror dismantling process
  • Any differences between 3dr/5dr

Possible part numbers for the 5-door J:
13308372-MIRROR, ASSY., DOOR, LESS MOTOR, COVER AND GLASS, RH-RHD (FOR ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRROR)
13308370-MIRROR, ASSY., DOOR, LESS MOTOR, COVER AND GLASS, LH-RHD (FOR ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRROR)
13345014-SWITCH, ASSY., DOOR MIRROR ADJUSTMENT, BLACK (IDENT EL) (FOR ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRROR)

Part numbers for the 3-door GTC/VXR:
13342461 MIRROR, ASSY., DOOR, LESS MOTOR, COVER AND GLASS, LH-RHD (FOR ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRROR)
13342463 MIRROR, ASSY., DOOR, LESS MOTOR, COVER AND GLASS, RH-RHD (FOR ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRROR)
13345014-SWITCH, ASSY., DOOR MIRROR ADJUSTMENT, BLACK (IDENT EL) (FOR ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRROR)

Feel free to subscribe to this thread to keep updated, or better yet if you have any experience or possible answers to the above don't be afraid to post. I could use all the help I can get :)

Thanks to contributors so far: RTID75

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I asked the question of the GM at my local dealer who responded saying "he does not believe they can be retro fitted"

I read between the lines to say cannot be done at a reasonable cost.

I would like them though.

·
Administrator
3,920 Posts
I do love a good retrofit research thread! :yippee:

I've linked to it in the How-To directory so hopefully we'll get more interested parties finding their way in here.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just so you don't risk too much damaging your mirror, here's the workshop guide page to removal/examination: http://vauxhall.workshop-manuals.com/astra-j/index.php?id=733

If you could take some pictures of the inner workings of them, I can do the same with mine without the folding mechanism and we can perhaps compare what's different as a good start :)

·
Banned
1,322 Posts
Big Images sorry guys.

Right I got the car in the garage and had a look.

1. Remove mirror glass, give a good pull and it will come off.

2. on models with heated mirrors there are 2 black wires which attach to the mirror, Disconnect these (I put some electrical tape on the top wire).

3. Take off the outer mirror housing, this can be a pig but stand behind the mirror and start gently pulling from the left front edge to right (door) you will have to turn the mirror towards the front of the car and then get a screwdriver in to get the last clip.

There should 7 wires in total.
Grey & White/Yellow these to control the motor which opens and closes the mirror, these have a little pin connector on them.

2 black wires which are for the heated mirror side of things.

There is also a Green, Yellow & Black/Red which adjust the mirror.

Blue outline = where the motor? & wires are
Red outline = heated mirror wires
Yellow outline = green yellow black/red wires
Pink = metal tube which is the mirrors axis.

To remove the whole mirror inside the door are 2 rubber grommets remove these and there is a 1omm bolt behind them undo them and then the mirror will pop off.

I hope this helps you in some way? I think though you will find you will have to buy the mirror complete as the motor looks to be moulded in.

Cheers Rusty.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I think it will all come down too the mirror switch on the door card, is the mirror folding switch different from the standard one, and will it connect too the standard door wire Lome, i sure you will have too just change the wing mirrors, and maybe the switch as well.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I think it will all come down too the mirror switch on the door card, is the mirror folding switch different from the standard one, and will it connect too the standard door wire Lome, i sure you will have too just change the wing mirrors, and maybe the switch as well.
There is a difference between the two. I'm sure the one with PF Mirrors could post a picture :)

EDIT: Whats the next retro-fit? ;)

·
Banned
1,322 Posts
Morning guys.

Just been to look at the mirror switch

As you can see there is a little symbol on the bottom which is for the folding action.

In order to remove the mirror switch the door card has to come off (I didn't take mine fully off though).

There are 11 wires on the back of the switch which are as follows,

yellow/brown, white, green, red/brown & black.
Then an empty space
blue/red, yellow/brown, brown/black, yellow, purple/yellow & white.

There are some numbers on the back of the switch,

321530 EL
2176 43

I don't think they are the part number as they don't seem to put them on anymore.

Hope this help you some more.

Rusty.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts