Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights are not looking their best and are developing that crapped up hazy/scratched lacquer look on the tops of the headlight units. :(

I have spent a hour or so looking at google trying to find results and it has lead me to several different "Headlight Restoring Kits" one being Turtlewax, the other being Meguiars and another one from 3M.

I am wondering has anybody on here had the same problem and used any of these products and had any successes? :confused:

Cheers

Ben_L

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Well ive just done my second pair with 'Scratch Doctor' headlight restorer and im impressed with the result as they were quite bad. They havent come up as good as new, but they are a lot better. I tried a buffing pad on a hand grinder with cutting compound first and it didnt work. The lenses are coated on top of the plastic and its this top coat which takes the brunt of the damage and has to be removed. The scratch doctor kit includes a top coat compound which is UV proof and is supposed to stop the suns rays from damaging the surface again. Ideally you also need to purchase several different grades of wet & dry......starting at 1000 and finishing at 4000 to get a good finish before using the buffing pads included for use on your electric drill. You do get 2 wet and dry papers with the kit but only 2 little pieces and i found there wasnt enough. You also get a bottle of plastic polishing/cutting compound. If you want to do it right, it'll take you a couple of hours of quite hard graft. That or buy a new pair :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
May i also add before someone corrects me, that a professional 'almost as good as new' finish can be obtained by having them done professionally on a proper machine polisher.....but that costs and i didnt have access to one :(

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
toothpaste, leave on for 5mins and wipe of :) repeat about 3x times
Tried it....didnt work for me. Even bought some of that rough powdered smokers toothpaste for yellow teeth...didnt work.Used it with wet and dry. Nowt! Suppose it might work for slightly tarnished plastic, but anything bad or where there are surface scratches...get the professional stuff out (Y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts