Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This possible has been answered on here before.

i have just purchased a second hand instrument cluster for my Astra as the original one fitted had a fault. After installing the replacement and powering on the car the odo the second hand replacement is reading just dashes. i guess the breakers reset it when removing from the donor vehicle.

So is it possible to reprogram the replacement with the millage from the original? is the millage stored in the cluster or elsewhere and i have to update the cluster.

need to get sorted before MOT early next month.

Astra j
1.6mSRI

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Is the car starting and running ok all gauges etc working with the only fault being the odometer display ?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Found the info,the odometer reading is stored in the BCM
In addition to storing the odometer value for the vehicle, the instrument cluster and the BCM store the VIN.
Software checks are performed to ensure these modules, and their stored odometer information cannot be moved or transferred between different vehicles.
If the VINs do not match, the instrument cluster will go into an error mode and display “----” (dashes).
If the VIN mismatch exists over a calibrated distance, the instrument cluster will “lock” the odometer display and only show dashes, even if the VIN mismatch is subsequently correct.
The only way to clear or “unlock” the instrument cluster is to perform a BCM programming event using SPS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was only the analogue speedo that was not working but interestingly since removing the needle has dropped down to zero so might swap it back and see how it goes . Any ideas how much a BCM reprogram would cost and where to do it?

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts