Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my Astra, I bought it from an independant dealer, not a VX dealer.

It only came with one key (2 button flip) and no handbook/manuals at all. The service history was printed out on a couple of sheets of A4, from Motability who were the previous owners - though it has been fully serviced at a VX dealer so far. I did ask the garage, but they said thats all they got with it... one key and no manuals.

Anyway, I'm a bit worried incase I lose the main (only) key or anything goes wrong with it. Have searched around, and it seems a coded key can cost at least £60 - is that price still about right?

Also, if I did want to get one, is there any particular paperwork I'd need to supply the dealer with, apart from the V5? As I say, I got no manuals/handbooks with it, and an Astra H I owned about 6 yr ago had a 'car code' that was used for some items on the car, and just wondered if the 'J' should have similar?

I have already bought a new set of manuals & pouch (£10 off ebay) as I like to keep them in the car for reference, as well as the PDF version I downloaded from VX website.

Cheers

MJ

·
Registered
142 Posts
The codes are on the car pass, VX can supply one, think they're about £25 iirc.

Same with the key, get the car pass to get the code then order the key, not sure on the price but I think I remember seeing £90 mentioned, It could have changed tho.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
As above, car pass or equivalent for the J. V5 but also most likely you'll need proof of ID, similar to when you're buying number plates.

·
3,891 Posts
It cost me £60 for a spare key for my Astra G back in 2002, and I'm guessing the cost will only have gone up!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Can someone please explain carpass to a newbie?
Its basically an ID card for your car. Holds things like the key code and and radio codes (although only needed for coding)

Without this you won't be able to code or replace a key without first getting a replacement from Vauxhall for about £25

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the replies, guys.

Bah, looks like I should probably get the car pass replaced first, if that's £25 straight off, and then at least I have that for some potential works on the car.

Then later, maybe look to get a replacement 2nd key.

In the meantime, I need to take very good care of my one current key!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If the radio is coded to the ECU, does that mean you don't need a code of the battery is turned off?
You don't need to enter a code into the stereo after a power interruption.

The stereo is coded to the separate display. If you need to change one or the other, first you have to divorce them from one another and then marry up the replacement display or stereo to the original display or stereo.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I got mine done at vauxhall as they could do it same day and I was off to france the following day - it was £95 I think it was for them to do it - but I paid £75 as I did not get a flip key - I turn too hard I think I snapped the last one and it got stuck in the ignition.

Never use my flip key (thats my spare).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts