Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone.
I'm literly half way through changing the front springs on the astra H, but I cant get the plastic clip off the top, can anyone tell me an easy way of doing it pleeeeease????

·
Registered
133 Posts
yep thats it mate, i used a buzz gun to take my top nut off tho was easier, not everybody has that option tho.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
thats because you need to hold the torques/star piece steady (at the end of threaded bit, in the middle) whilst undoing the nut

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
with the special tool! its like a hollow socket

the socket goes on the nut, then you can get into the torques/star head to hold it steady whilst undoing the nut

you could also use a ring spanner if it is offset enough, mine was :) and just put the torques/star head down the middle

mine is only 12 months old and was really tight to undo

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Size of both please, about to attempt this job myself very soon. Or mite just get a quote from Converted Chris to do the job lol.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Size of both please, about to attempt this job myself very soon. Or mite just get a quote from Converted Chris to do the job lol.
not sure without checking, just take the cap off the top of yours and you can check you have the right tools before you remove the strut

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Will have to before I do the job but unlike the Astra the top of the struts are behind the washer jet cowling, a pain in the back side to get at. :mad:

·
Registered
681 Posts
You need a torx 50 bit and a 21mm Swan necked spanner. Best to get the socket type of torx bit. You might also have to grind down edges of spanner to get it to fit, once you got that done its a simple job.;)
I'll go take photo of my one so you know what you need. :thumbs:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here you go Gary, as you can see I ground the spanner(I bought a cheap one to grind) means it gets hold of the nut better. Then you unscrew the nut while holding the strut in place.:thumbs:

·
Registered
143 Posts
An alternative which you might have already (and what I used), is a 21mm spark plug socket (like the one below) with a spanner on the hex end and then put a Torx key down the middle with a piece of pipe/tube on it for extra leverage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your help! managed to get one strut done, but the locking wheel nut key is broke inside and the wheel bolts are mega tight, so I'll have to get them taken off tomorow, so for now...I have a car that is lowered on one spring at the front...=/ lol

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
VanGuy: the rears are easy, just use your spring compressors and it's job done. For the front you've got to do it the same way as the 1st, though I think I took the plastic clip off and reomved the strut from the car. Then put the spring compressors on and undid the nut.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts