Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1: Aside from 10bhp & an extra gear, what is the difference between the MK5 1.7 100bhp & the 110bhp versions?

Question 2: If memory serves, the 150 & one of the 120 diesels are known for having chocolate gearboxes i think it is? And also that bloody DPF!

Am i right in thinking the 1.7 doesn't have the DPF & is generally seen as being more reliable, just slower?

Question 3: Wouldn't be wanting to push it to the edge of its limits (& require other areas to be heavily upgraded to take the extra power), just a decent power boost staying within comfortable limits. Once this is done (would remapping or a box be better?) how would it compare to say a MK4 Astra 1.8 & a MK4 Golf 1.6? Better fuel economy that's a given, but in terms of performance say from a stand still & rolling?

I own the Astra & my wife owns the Golf. She's considering replacing the Golf & likes the 3 door MK5 Astra. The 1.8 petrol is all round too costly. The 2.0 is also too much. I'm sure i remember from years ago reading a lot of negatives about the 150 & 120 (plus they cost more to buy anyway) so we were looking at the 1.7 for her but just looking at the standard figures for the 1.7 she'd like it with a bit more oomf - which is why i'm here asking about the tuning.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
I believe completely different engines.

Neither the 1.7 or the 1.9 has a DPF.

Both remapping and boxing will get decent gains and the car will be quicker than the two you are comparing it too

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

That's good to know that it'd be quicker than the two i mention. I suspected it would be quicker than the 1.6 Golf since there wouldn't be much difference standard.

I wasn't sure how it'd compare to the 1.8 Astra though since while i wouldn't consider it 'fast', it is pretty nippy for what it is.

Anyway, are you 100% sure on that DPF thing though?

It's been a few years since i was around on the Astra forums - both AON & AOC. I wasn't on here as much but i used to be on AOC quite a bit years ago (before house things & life got in the way & i spent less & less of my time dealing with anything car related).

At one point i remember looking in to the MK5 Astra for myself and owning the 1.8 MK4 i didn't want to drop too much speed so instantly started looking at the 150bhp 1.9CDTI and i could've sworn that aside from the chocolate gearbox issue, people said that this engine had the DPF.

To list off the diesels, i could've sworn it was...

150bhp 1.9 - had DPF
120bhp 1.9 (the one that is basically a restricted 150 (is it a 16v?) - had DPF
120bhp 1.9 (the other one, is it an 8v?) - not so sure here, i thought perhaps no DPF
and the 1.7 - no DPF (but wasn't sure).

I thought that is how it went?

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Nope. Twintops and auto estates have DPF's. 3 and 5 doors don't regardless of engine or box

·
Registered
23,527 Posts
100hp and 110 are related with a few bits changed but can't remember what they are

The gearbox on the 150 is a bit fragile but once the bearings have been done properly you'll be good to go as far as I know as autocare have never had a box fail after they sorted it

As Tony said only estates twin tops and zafs had a dpf if it is one of them you want have it replaced with shallow one and mapped out

A mapped or boxed 1.7 will be comfortably ahead of both i think most are about 150 after a map anyway and will be well within its comfort zone

As for which is better that's personal preference some swear by one some the other. Personally I had a box on my 1.9 and loved it I bought it second hand fir 100 quid and sold it 3 years later for 90
Don't be tempted by cheap maps from Micky mouse companies if I was going for a map it would be from a reputable tuner

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

50bhp gain? I thought you would be looking at 30bhp really so 50bhp i wasn't expecting that.

The Mrs is no speed freak either so she's really not interested in pushing it to its limits. Looking at it, a 1.7 with a basic map would suit her fine without going overboard with it.

And i know what you're saying about these cheapy guys. If we went down this road then she'd be running it standard for a while for starters to see if everything is A-ok as standard before even going for the map route & then we'd be looking in to who is widely regarded as being good at it.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
1.7 your prob looking at an increase of arounf 30-40 HP depenidn gon what version you get, the only down side to the 1.7 is they aren't as refined as the 1.9's( and are to all extend an purposes quite argucultural in their definition which vx only really fixed when they introduced the 1.6 whisper diesel engines to replace the 1.7 izuzu lumps)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it depends what you're after though to be honest.

Some young lad who wants to whizz around the country lanes late at night probably wouldn't be interested.

My wife on the other hand just wants something that'll get her from A-B that has a decent amount of power when needed but doesn't have any interest in racing any supercars or revving at the lights & all that carry on. Decent price for tax & insurance & decent on fuel.

The 1.7 wouldn't really tick my boxes, but it suits her needs very well.

What really is the difference between the 100 & 110 versions though of the 1.7? I had a look & the 110 is a midges slower on the 0-60 but gets better MPG. There's go to be surely more to it than that though. Is one (the 100bhp / 110bhp 1.7) more reliable than the other or something? There's got to be some sort of difference other than just plain old 10bhp & whatever MPG?

·
Registered
23,527 Posts
They are both pretty reliable the engine is as old time and fitted in alsorts of cars the ep2 civic diesel had it
Only negatives I've read are they can lunch turbos and the mpg isn't great compared to the 1.9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts