Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as my i was in an acccident on friday and i along with autotec 24 hour recovery think the car is a write of me not being at fault will be getting a replacement car hopefully in the next week, As ive got Vehichle replacement insurance with arnold clark when i got my finance. So i ave a few questions.

Will i ave a choice of what car i want or will i get another astra 1.6 sxi ?

and if i do get a choice can any1 recommend the 1.7 cdti 3 door ?

I havn't a clue about diesels as ive never drove 1 but have read about alot of problems with egr valve etc and considering i don't even know what that is lol id like some sort of advice. Im not looking for a fast car just reliable and good quality so is there much difference between the sxi & cdti inside or outside wise ? & what would the difference be in speed anyway would i feel a difference standard from the 1.6 petrol to the 1.7 cdti as i see there are tuning boxes available for the diesels thanks.

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Top end the 1.6 is probably faster.. but the 1.7 will get there quicker, and be good at tackling hills and better on fuel!!

1.7 ftw if you can!!! No major issues on the 1.7 to be fair.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice, to be honest im not fussed about top end speed anymore id rather beet sumone to 70 than be overtook at 120 or 130 and after that accident all i want now is a car lol ive spent about 50 quid on taxis and buses in the last 5 days getting to work and back its murder. So it is reliable then and the egr valve aint a major problem

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
No.. and it can be tuned! All I can say is if you like the noise of a petrol then dont get a diesel. Otherwise.. go for it!!! Cant get the 1.9 can you?

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
One thing I've been told about diesels, is although you get the economy and the torque and all that, they're not for everyone. If you can, try and drive one before you jump in. See if you like the differences.

That is some advice I've been given by a few friends who I know have recently jumped from a petrol to a diesel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to sure to be honest m8 what insurance group is the 1.9, im a right on saying the 1.7 is insurance group 6 ? i think the 1.6 petrol is insurance group 7, And to be honest im not fussed about the noise either so no worries there my music dulls the noise anyway

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only thing is insurancce m8 i dont really wana go any higher than i am at the monent i think the 1.9 is group 11 im only on a group 7 at the moment i get what ure saying tho the 1.9 would be better

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
Might be worth doing a quick insurance quote search, something like confused.com, it might be less than you think... Good luck with the car hunt dude!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
still got my current insurance until next feb tho thats the only thing so atleast if i go for a 1.7 ill be paying less a month for the moment, if i go for a 1.9 ill b paying more ill ask them anyways c wot they say all in all tho how is the reliability in the both of them as thats my main priority ? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you get the chance of the 1.7 CDTi then don't get the 80hp model get the 100hp one. I've got the 80hp one and even though its been really reliable its a bit sluggish getting up to speed. Once there though it cruises along nicely.

I'm getting about 55mpg out of mine, mostly motorway miles to Bristol and back. I tried a DTUK box on it but the car didn't like it, especially when in slow moving traffic (which is most of the time in bristol). It seemed as if it was overfueling and causing the car to stall, and then it wouldn't restart straight away. I've not heard of any problems with a box on the 100hp engine though. I've since taken the box off the car and sold it and have learnt to live with the car as standard.

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
I've had mine for 18 months now, and not had a single problem. I've done 19k and it hasn't missed a beat, and still feels as good as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
you will probably find that you will get like for like,so in theory you should get another 1.6,the dealer may be flexible or you may be able to get a diesel for a small extra outlay,here are some facts and figures 1.6 v 1.7

1.6 upto 2006
0-60 11.4 secs,top speed 116mph,max power 103bhp,max torque 110 lbft,mpg 42,co2 158,road tax £150 now,£155 next year.
1.6 2007 on
0-60 10.8 secs,top speed 120mph,max power 113bhp,max torque 114 lbft,mpg 43,co2 155,road tax as above
1.7 cdti 100bhp model
0-60 11.4 secs,top speed 113mph,max power 98bhp,max torque 177 lbft,mpg 56,co2 135,road tax £120,next year £110 (yes is goes down)
1.7 cdti 110bhp model (2009 model on)
0-60 11.9 secs,top speed 117mph,max power 108bhp,max torque 192 lbft,mpg 62,co2 119,road tax £35 per year,next year £30

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
£35 quid for roadtax wow lol thats pretty good, as i said not really interested in speed more the miles on 1 tank, but what difference would a tuning box make to the 1.7 any1 know roughly or had it done and like the difference ? Does the tuning box also get the car more mpg or less

·
40,693 Posts
The tuning boxes get you more MPG if driven right, unfortunately, because of the extra power, you generally put your foot down more so use more fuel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts