Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I've been having issues lately with a rumbling noise coming from the rear of the car. Rumbling noises are problamatic with the Astra j in the rear and I've been through a few threads and followed a few recommendations with limited success. The rumbling noise has worsened again in the last few weeks and is at its worst on undulations and uneven parts of the road. Not a peep out of it on smooth road surfaces. I've noticed tonight that the shocks are bouncing. That is to say when I press the suspension down it doesn't come straight back up and stop, but goes back down again about halfway. It looks as if the shock absorbers may be goosed. My question is regarding the replacing of the shocks in the rear. Is this an easy job and what is required for me to undertake such work.

·
3,890 Posts
I haven't done it on the J, but I have on the G and it's not difficult. You will need axle stands, a trolley jack, some bricks or similar to stop the rear axle dropping too low and putting strain on the brake pipes. Use the trolley jack to control the height of the rear axle when the shocks are disconnected. On the G they're held in with large torx bolts as are a lot of major parts on Vauxhalls so I bet you'll need a set of torx sockets. Ideally you should also have a 1/4" torque wrench to make sure you do the bolts up right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts