Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how i would get a usb cable from the back of an aftermarket hu to the area under the handbreak where the panel can come off? I looked underneath and it seems quite blocked under the gear stick?

Also what usb cable is it i need to control my iphone from the hu? Im pretty sure its not the normal white one that charges it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
IIRC You should be able to rout the cable down from the rear of the headunit behind the heater controls then down past the gear linkage to that area.

Regarding the cable a normal white IPOD cable should work, I used to use one with my old Sony unit, might aswell try it now and make sure it works then worry about the routing later ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC You should be able to rout the cable down from the rear of the headunit behind the heater controls then down past the gear linkage to that area.

Regarding the cable a normal white IPOD cable should work, I used to use one with my old Sony unit, might aswell try it now and make sure it works then worry about the routing later ;)
Ok mate thanks! Ye ill try the cable b4 i route lol!

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
iPod cable completely depends on the headunit.

My old JVC KW-AVX810 let me use the USB cable that came with the iPod to charge and play music, but wouldn't play videos.
My Eonon D5108 has a specific iPod cable that came with the headunit and plugs into a 3 or 4 pin socket on the back of the headunit.
Some units offer iPod support, but require you to buy a specific cable separately.

As for running the cable, stereo out. Heater controls out. Coin tray and gear surround out. Run cable from where the stereo would be, down behind the heater panel housing, under the coin tray and down the side of the gear stick mechanism, being careful not to get it in the way of anything. That's how I ran my aux cable. I also ran my USB cable down there, but that comes back up to a USB socket mounted to the coin tray, so didn't need to worry about catching anything on the gear mechanisms :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iPod cable completely depends on the headunit.

My old JVC KW-AVX810 let me use the USB cable that came with the iPod to charge and play music, but wouldn't play videos.
My Eonon D5108 has a specific iPod cable that came with the headunit and plugs into a 3 or 4 pin socket on the back of the headunit.
Some units offer iPod support, but require you to buy a specific cable separately.

As for running the cable, stereo out. Heater controls out. Coin tray and gear surround out. Run cable from where the stereo would be, down behind the heater panel housing, under the coin tray and down the side of the gear stick mechanism, being careful not to get it in the way of anything. That's how I ran my aux cable. I also ran my USB cable down there, but that comes back up to a USB socket mounted to the coin tray, so didn't need to worry about catching anything on the gear mechanisms :)
Thanks for that mate. Where would you recommend i route it to? Can i get it into the glove box?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for that mate. Where would you recommend i route it to? Can i get it into the glove box?
If you don't have the Aircon in the glove box then there is a hole near the door on the right (when you open it) which is ideal for IPOD + usb cables (Y)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't have the Aircon in the glove box then there is a hole near the door on the right (when you open it) which is ideal for IPOD + usb cables (Y)
Thanks mate:). R u talkn about the glove box door or the car door lol? My glove has like 2 seperate apartments. Would the hole be in the top or bottom one? havent noticed a hole in either bt ill check again!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry was talking about the glovebox door. In the top section of the glovebox, at the front (where the glovebox door opens) there should be a hole on the right, take a look you cant miss it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts