Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how long it has been doing this but I noticed it half way through April.

When the radio is off and the date is displayed, the date is yesterdays date.
I have tried:
  • Resetting day, date and time to silly times, turning the radio on and waiting for RDS sync. This puts all times etc. correct except the date is still one day out!
  • Trying different RDS stations, no change.
  • I have pulled three fuses for the radio and display - to no avail.
The only other thing I can think of is removing the battery for a few minutes.

I wonder if there is a software setting somewhere that has become corrupted??

Any help would be very much appreciated. This is not a serious problem but, by heck it is annoying!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have manually set silly values for everything and the RDS updates within a minute. Everything spot on - except the date!
I don't understand it. I am not sure it is worth trying a different MFD, too much aggro! I will just have to check the date on my watch!
Thanks for the response, though.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Well the time and dates change according to what country you're in, so in theory if you drive around the earth backwards it would be fixed :shock:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replacing the unit with the exact SAME unit ie, from a scrapyard will probably NOT fix this problem because it seems to be a model-wide problem for cars (like mine) fitted with the original Delco branded CDR-500 which uses the in-dash display. I've now heard of three other Astra MK4s with original Delco stereos which are having this problem. The most likely cause is a firmware bug in the Delco unit - the only way to fix that will be to apply a manufacturer supplied firmware patch for the microprocessor code in the head unit. The question is, will such a patch be made available? That probably depends upon how much fuss we make about it.

In this model the car clock receives a time correction signal along with the other RDS information from stations which transmit it, especially the BBC national stations. So if you turn off the radio, correct the time / date and either turn off RDS or never turn the radio on again, the date will stay correct, but it will 'auto-correct' to the wrong date within a very short time if the radio is turned on with RDS on and tuned to any station which transmits the time / date information over RDS. That's why the (admittedly ingenious) suggestion of setting the date one day ahead will not work for long.

The problem only seems to have made itself apparent in spring 2013 - it was always fine on mine before and I've never had to reset the time / date before because the RDS time signal kept it very accurate.

So far, it only seems to be affecting the 'Delco' version of the CDR-500, the 'Siemens VDO' version has not (yet) been reported as having this date bug. If your Astra has a VDO branded CDR 500 fitted, please let us know if you are (or are not) having this same wrong date problem on your unit. One solution might be for Delco owners to replace the Delco unit with the similar looking VDO unit from a scrapyard, if you prefer to keep the look of the original fitted stereo and display.

Important Update: I've acquired a Siemens / VDO version, fitted it in the same car and amazingly the date bug is still present, so it's looking like it's the car's firmware which is responsible.

Still, if every single one of us write to Vauxhall and / or GM and complain, they may actually make a fix available.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Replacing the unit with the exact SAME unit ie, from a scrapyard will probably NOT fix this problem because it seems to be a model-wide problem for cars (like mine) fitted with the original Delco branded CDR-500 which uses the in-dash display. I've now heard of three other Astra MK4s with original Delco stereos which are having this problem. The most likely cause is a firmware bug in the Delco unit - the only way to fix that will be to apply a manufacturer supplied firmware patch for the microprocessor code in the head unit. The question is, will such a patch be made available? That probably depends upon how much fuss we make about it.

In this model the car clock receives a time correction signal along with the other RDS information from stations which transmit it, especially the BBC national stations. So if you turn off the radio, correct the time / date and either turn off RDS or never turn the radio on again, the date will stay correct, but it will 'auto-correct' to the wrong date within a very short time if the radio is turned on with RDS on and tuned to any station which transmits the time / date information over RDS. That's why the (admittedly ingenious) suggestion of setting the date one day ahead will not work for long.

The problem only seems to have made itself apparent in spring 2013 - it was always fine on mine before and I've never had to reset the time / date before because the RDS time signal kept it very accurate.

So far, it only seems to be affecting the 'Delco' version of the CDR-500, the 'Siemens VDO' version has not (yet) been reported as having this date bug. If your Astra has a VDO branded CDR 500 fitted, please let us know if you are (or are not) having this same wrong date problem on your unit. One solution might be for Delco owners to replace the Delco unit with the similar looking VDO unit from a scrapyard, if you prefer to keep the look of the original fitted stereo and display.

But better still, if every single one of us write to Vauxhall and / or GM and complain, they may actually make a fix available.

some interesting info there, have to say though m,y old hacth had one of them delco MFD in, and there was nothing wrong with the date at all,

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
My mums t reg astra has recently had this problem. One day out, had a quick google but couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
some interesting info there, have to say though m,y old hatch had one of them delco MFD in, and there was nothing wrong with the date at all,
It probably does have a problem now :)

They all worked perfectly up until some time in Spring 2013, and now suddenly a lot of them (Maybe even every Delco unit in existence) have started getting the date one day out. So many people are having this problem all at the same time, it suggests that there's something wrong with the way the unit firmware calculates the date for a given day of the year from a certain date onwards.

Do you remember the famous 'Millennium Bug' that everyone made such a fuss about, it was going to bring down satellite communications and navigation networks, etc? Well, this is a less serious version of that. The people who programmed the code in the head unit which decodes the RDS year / month / date obviously didn't check that their code would still work on dates 12/13/14 years into the future.

Since posting my original response above, I've found that Delco were an Indian based electonics division or subsidiary of General Motors. Unfortunately they no longer exist in their original form and so it's unlikely that any firmware fix will be forthcoming for these radio/cd units now. The only other fix I can imagine is for Vauxhall to modify the car's ECU firmware to correct the 'bad' date coming from the radio to the right date before sending it to the display on the dashboard.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
It probably does have a problem now :)

They all worked perfectly up until some time in Spring 2013, and now suddenly a lot of them (Maybe even every Delco unit in existence) have started getting the date one day out. So many people are having this problem all at the same time, it suggests that there's something wrong with the way the unit firmware calculates the date for a given day of the year from a certain date onwards.

Do you remember the famous 'Millennium Bug' that everyone made such a fuss about, it was going to bring down satellite communications and navigation networks, etc? Well, this is a less serious version of that. The people who programmed the code in the head unit which decodes the RDS year / month / date obviously didn't check that their code would still work on dates 12/13/14 years into the future.

Since posting my original response above, I've found that Delco were an Indian based electonics division or subsidiary of General Motors. Unfortunately they no longer exist in their original form and so it's unlikely that any firmware fix will be forthcoming for these radio/cd units now. The only other fix I can imagine is for Vauxhall to modify the car's ECU firmware to correct the 'bad' date coming from the radio to the right date before sending it to the display on the dashboard.

youve made me go check my coupes MFD lol, thats i hope thats all still in date!!

dont mind if the old one has a problem its in car heaven!

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
no matter what the status of Delco, the chances of GM offering a clock fix on cars that are 10-15 years old are about zero

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Seen a few of these threads pop up on other forums now, think mine will be effected as it's a Delco but I'm running an aftermarket stereo and satnav in place of the mfd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great response guys. As someone said a 10-15 year old car is history!
It doesn't really matter that much, most of the time the radio or CD is on and the date is replaced by the radio information anyway.
It is just annoying when something is almost - but not quite - right.
I am reassured by the fact it is not only my car, though.
Who knows maybe it is the 13 in 2013 that has upset it and it will be OK again in 2014...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the great response guys. As someone said a 10-15 year old car is history!
Who knows maybe it is the 13 in 2013 that has upset it and it will be OK again in 2014...
What I am waiting for now is to see what date it shows on the first day of June (it's late May 2013 as I write this). It will most probably say May 31st, or it might just possibly say June 0th.

It wouldn't be totally impossible for an electronics whizz kid to build something which inserts into the communications connection between the radio and the car to intercept and correct the 'bad' date information before sending it on to the ECU / display.

If the date will always reliably be yesterday's date from now on, then any such device would just have to add the lost day back on, correcting the month and year as well when necessary (for example, when the RDS date according to the radio is 31/12/2013, it will have to be corrected to 1/1/2014).

·
Registered
16 Posts
no matter what the status of Delco, the chances of GM offering a clock fix on cars that are 10-15 years old are about zero
There's a saying around here, 'Shy Bairns Get Nowt'. If we don't grumble about it, then certainly Vauxhall will do nothing about it.

But if it ends up being the subject of a mocking article on 'Watchdog' insinuating that Vauxhall can't even fix a clock, then, who knows?

So, complain about it folks. It won't cost you anything. I emailed Vauxhall yesterday, detailing this problem. They said they had searched their fault bulletins database and were unaware of this issue or any fix - I believe them, since this problem has only just started to happen. What did annoy me was their veiled suggestion that I should just get a Vauxhall dealer to take a look at it, the implication being that it is a problem with my car / radio and -only- my car / radio.

Let them know otherwise: Their email for this sort of thing is

vauxhall (dot) customerassistance (at) vauxhall (dot) co (dot) uk

·
Registered
16 Posts
A quick update on this - I took the plunge and picked up a Siemens VDO version of the CDR500 to try out to see if it fixed this RDS date bug - IT DOES NOT, so don't waste any money trying to fix it that way. With two RDS radio units five years apart, made by different manufacturers, both doing the same thing in the same car, it can only be down to something on the car (ie, the car's ECU firmware) now.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
A quick update on this - I took the plunge and picked up a Siemens VDO version of the CDR500 to try out to see if it fixed this RDS date bug - IT DOES NOT, so don't waste any money trying to fix it that way. With two RDS radio units five years apart, made by different manufacturers, both doing the same thing in the same car, it can only be down to something on the car (ie, the car's ECU firmware) now.

ahh good to see some info there then, ive yet to go check my one out to see if it still working fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
You'll have seen that when I wrote to Vauxhall UK initially, they basically said they had never heard of the problem - which was possible because it has only just started happening. I may have been the first person ever to report it to them.

I pressed them a little bit harder, and this was their follow up response:

"Thank you for your email received on 21 May 2013 regarding your Vauxhall Astra.

I am sorry to hear of the issue you are experiencing with your radio display being incorrect.

I can confirm I have spoken to our Technical Department who have advised due to the age
of the components in the radio the only way for the display to show the correct date, time,
and year is to turn the RDS off".

So that's their official response when there's only one person complaining, and at least they have now acknowledged that there is a problem. What surprises me most is that they blame the radios, two entirely different makes manufactured five years apart. It's not absolutely impossible as both units might use the same RDS radio chipset, which is where the problem could lie (and that is what Vauxhall's reply seems to suggest). But the odds are long against it.

It would still be useful to know just exactly what range of cars / Vauxhall fitted radios are affected.

If you're driving an Astra G with the original Delco or VDO CDR500 fitted, is your date correct? Let us know - year of car, make of the stereo (Delco or VDO) and whether the date is correct. Note you need to have RDS turned on on the radio, and to have the radio on a station which transmits RDS time code - typically a BBC national station - for a few minutes until the car clock gets updated from the radio.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
ok, well ime not long back from my coupe, i had to set all my times and dates on my MFD as i had the battery unplugged, tuned the headunit into bbc1 listened for around 10 mins dates/times are fine, that is with a sony headunit, ill try the old multi disc cd changer things at the weekend to see if it happens as you said only the OE units, my coupes oe unit is a Philips CCR 600 multi disc changer

ive got the tripple info MFD though with the MPG avg consumption etc etc, so might not affect mine

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have an 04 Astra with a VDO CDR500 and have this same problem. It's always yesterday, you never know it might sort itself out next leap year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts