Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have noticed something strange while driving my astra j 2010 1.6 manual gear petrol fuel, while im near a stop where i release the accelerator pedal for pressing break and clutch, it accelerate randomly at 1500-2000rpm, and then 2-3 times ups and down again, this happens even i am changing to higher gears while i keep the clutch pressed for 1-2 sec before changing gear it accelerate s randomly again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just experienced the same problem yesterday with my Astra J 2010 Petrol 1.6.
My car randomly started revving up to 3000rpm for 2-3 seconds as I press the clutch and break. Stationary and waiting in the thick of the 'rush hour' traffic, it spontaneously embarrassingly revved up and down while in neutral and handbrake on.
Then a light on the dash i never knew existed, shows a car with like 2 'ss' under it. If this wasn't bad enough, then comes an illuminated red oil lamp with a repetitive 'ding' (like a warning to put your seatbelt on). The illuminated red oil lamp and alarm disappeared as soon as I started to move only to be replaced by an Orange coloured static 'Engine Transmission Light'.
Absolutely panicking by now I've pulled over. Car stationary was excessively juddering to the point I could see the vibration in my wing mirror. Switched engine off, opened bonnet, let it 'cool' while deciding what the hell I was gonna do. (Naturally caused abit of attention... ohhh dear... blonde female with car bonnet open... probably neglected her car :rolleyes:) If it wasn't embarrassing enough to be stared at while it sounds like I'm trying to accelerate in neutral.
Checked oil on dipstick (obviously cleaned off the oil first before checking) and it was fine, between the 2nd and 3rd line.
Eventually manage to get home, fella gets the Code reader out.
P0106 says it's my MAP sensor.
OK. I Googled the MAP sensor, personally from what I can read about the faults occurring from a faulty map sensor, doesn't really fit what's happening to my car. But, not to upset him I buy a brand new MAP sensor from GT for just under £40.
He fits it on the car. The car is in exactly the same state.
The 'trusted' code reader comes out again. This time with more codes,
P0137 - HO2S circuit low voltage sensor *2
P0171 - Fuel Trim system Lean
(and he's adamant that C0700 was also a fault listed although I haven't found the fault code in the list)

So, now I'm told to buy a 'Rocker Cover' another £40 and 2 days wait till the part is available, and then what? If its still the same?

I know my car and its never let me down. I keep it watered and fed properly and it keeps me going from A to B.

The only problem is that I can't help but thinking that this has all happened shortly (within a day) after filling up with 1/2 a tank of E10 'Petrol and driving around approx 30 miles'?
What potential damage could this of done if it turned out to be 'not compatible' or suitable for my 2010 Astra J? and could it really cause my car this much stress and confusion just because it has an extra 5% Ethanol?

There's not really alot said yet about this new petrol, but my usual reliable car has just gone booloo, and my dashboard is lighting up like Blackpool Illuminations.

Checked the Gov website and it basically says "yes, your car should be OK using E10, but if it isn't we don't take any responsibility for the information from this site that you have decided to act upon"
Well?... Yes, thought that! Not as if the U.K government would ever take any responsibility for any mis-information they seem to be giving out...
(but I'll save that rant for a U.K consistently Incompetant Government dedicated forum).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just experienced the same problem yesterday with my Astra J 2010 Petrol 1.6.
My car randomly started revving up to 3000rpm for 2-3 seconds as I press the clutch and break. Stationary and waiting in the thick of the 'rush hour' traffic, it spontaneously embarrassingly revved up and down while in neutral and handbrake on.
Then a light on the dash i never knew existed, shows a car with like 2 'ss' under it. If this wasn't bad enough, then comes an illuminated red oil lamp with a repetitive 'ding' (like a warning to put your seatbelt on). The illuminated red oil lamp and alarm disappeared as soon as I started to move only to be replaced by an Orange coloured static 'Engine Transmission Light'.
Absolutely panicking by now I've pulled over. Car stationary was excessively juddering to the point I could see the vibration in my wing mirror. Switched engine off, opened bonnet, let it 'cool' while deciding what the hell I was gonna do. (Naturally caused abit of attention... ohhh dear... blonde female with car bonnet open... probably neglected her car :rolleyes:) If it wasn't embarrassing enough to be stared at while it sounds like I'm trying to accelerate in neutral.
Checked oil on dipstick (obviously cleaned off the oil first before checking) and it was fine, between the 2nd and 3rd line.
OK. I Googled the MAP sensor, personally from what I can read about the faults occurring from a faulty map sensor, doesn't really fit what's happening to my car. But, not to upset him I buy a brand new MAP sensor from GT for just under £40.
(and he's adamant that C0700 was also a fault listed although I haven't found the fault code in the list)

So, now I'm told to buy a 'Rocker Cover' another £40 and 2 days wait till the part is available, and then what? If its still the same?

I know my car and its never let me down. I keep it watered and fed properly and it keeps me going from A to B.

The only problem is that I can't help but thinking that this has all happened shortly (within a day) after filling up with 1/2 a tank of E10 'Petrol and driving around approx 30 miles'?
What potential damage could this of done if it turned out to be 'not compatible' or suitable for my 2010 Astra J? and could it really cause my car this much stress and confusion just because it has an extra 5% Ethanol?

There's not really alot said yet about this new petrol, but my usual reliable car has just gone booloo, and my dashboard is lighting up like Blackpool Illuminations.

Checked the Gov website and it basically says "yes, your car should be OK using E10, but if it isn't we don't take any responsibility for the information from this site that you have decided to act upon"
Well?... Yes, thought that! Not as if the U.K government would ever take any responsibility for any mis-information they seem to be giving out...
(but I'll save that rant for a U.K consistently Incompetant Government dedicated forum).
Have you tried with A/C on, it doesnt have the symptoms very noticeable with AC on.
Anyway, the problem persist and i dont know what to do, whats on your side?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Did you already fixed it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts