Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A.O.N. Resident Kidnapper
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, long story short, I'm filming a car review (in the style of Top Gear) and I need somewhere to do it! I need an open space somewhere or a track which I can use for a day or two. Anybody know anywhere that would be appropriate?

Crail and The Royal Highland Center are the only places I can think of, I phoned Crail and it costs £200 to rent a track which is really steep but I may not have any other choice! :( I'm going to phone the Highland Center on Monday.

Oh, I'm located in Edinburgh btw, so not too far from there would be ideal! Also while I'm at it, anybody know/want to present it i.e. drive my car like a lunatic in return for reading a script while doing it lol?

Thanks for any help folks! :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Tesco car park at 1am is probably a good bet.:lol:

Try and do something a bit more than sliding the car and screaming "power". I'd like to know how good the boot space and stuff is:lol:

·
A.O.N. - Full Member
1,652 Posts
Some say that the outline of my left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburg ring - and that if you give me a really important job to do, I'll skive off and play croquet...... I thought it cost £2k not £200 to hire somewhere like Crail for a couple of hours ?

EDIT... Why not hire the Thunder Valley Raceway behind the all you can eat Curry House in Lochgelly :D
http://www.spedeworth-scotland.co.uk/Site/

·
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tesco car park at 1am is probably a good bet.:lol:

Try and do something a bit more than sliding the car and screaming "power". I'd like to know how good the boot space and stuff is:lol:
Haha, I wish I could do that lol!

Yeah it's not a total copy of Top Gear, it's basically a mix between Top Gear and Fifth Gear, as in it will hopefully be entertaining but it will actually be useful as well! as in give statistics about MPG etc, and then I'm going to add some visual effects.
People say I speak like Jeremy clarkson :lol:
Haha, I don't want it to be exactly like Top Gear, just looking for someone who is comfortable being recorded and saying lines really!
Why not make a meet of it..

Open drag strip etc

Charge people £10 to get in, you would get the money in no time
I was thinking of that, but I wouldn't be able to organise it or anything as I'm useless lol!

I'd not actually be using the drag strip, it would be one of the 4 airfield's they have. The other issue is that I'd most likely need all day to film, so I wouldn't want to charge people to come up and not get to drive about!
Some say that the outline of my left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburg ring - and that if you give me a really important job to do, I'll skive off and play croquet...... I thought it cost £2k not £200 to hire somewhere like Crail for a couple of hours ?
Well I emailed him and the guy said it would be £200 for 2 days. Bare in mind that I'd only be using one of the four air strips they have, so most of crail would be open for public use ect. I can see it being £2000 if you book the entire place.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Haha, I wish I could do that lol!

Yeah it's not a total copy of Top Gear, it's basically a mix between Top Gear and Fifth Gear, as in it will hopefully be entertaining but it will actually be useful as well! as in give statistics about MPG etc, and then I'm going to add some visual effects.
You could, just get some AON showplates made up that say "coldo". They'll never catch YOU:lol:

Servicing costs too. No one ever covers that. Also what happens if you get chased by baddies in a Corvette ZR1 through a shopping centre (princess street one maybe?)

·
A.O.N. - Platinum Member
38,432 Posts
I'd not actually be using the drag strip, it would be one of the 4 airfield's they have. The other issue is that I'd most likely need all day to film, so I wouldn't want to charge people to come up and not get to drive about!
Just think of the TopGear style chase scenes you could do with all those cars though

·
Lewis
2,812 Posts
This sounds like fun :D . I wouldn't count on the surface of the airfield being very good though, i'd be scared someone would hit a pothole whilst turning at speed and flip the motor, lol. (would make for some good filming but very expensive, although would be quite impressive for your project :lol: )

If Crail were to let you book a airstrip out at £200 for 2 days, then if any of us wanted to come and silently spectate whilst you film, then we could pay something to you, not Crail, to get in as we would be in the party renting out that airstrip (Although knowing Crail they'll probably still charge everyone £10 to get in)....then they can sneak into the main strip and pay for the 1/4 mile. lol.

You should put it to Crail that the video may be published somewhere (blag it) and that it could be good publicity for them, see if you can get the price down, explain you're not just renting it out to kick the shizzle out your car for 2 days, :lol:

PS: I wouldn't mind presenting the film either, lol.

:)

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
This sounds like fun :D . I wouldn't count on the surface of the airfield being very good though, i'd be scared someone would hit a pothole whilst turning at speed and flip the motor, lol. (would make for some good filming but very expensive, although would be quite impressive for your project :lol: )

If Crail were to let you book a airstrip out at £200 for 2 days, then if any of us wanted to come and silently spectate whilst you film, then we could pay something to you, not Crail, to get in as we would be in the party renting out that airstrip (Although knowing Crail they'll probably still charge everyone £10 to get in)....then they can sneak into the main strip and pay for the 1/4 mile. lol.

You should put it to Crail that the video may be published somewhere (blag it) and that it could be good publicity for them, see if you can get the price down, explain you're not just renting it out to kick the shizzle out your car for 2 days, :lol:

:lol:

You've thought that out Lewis!

·
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could, just get some AON showplates made up that say "coldo". They'll never catch YOU:lol:

Servicing costs too. No one ever covers that. Also what happens if you get chased by baddies in a Corvette ZR1 through a shopping centre (princess street one maybe?)
Haha!

Yeah I was thinking servicing costs, but I don't think I want to go into too much detail as it might lose the audience's interest! I might try figure out a way to get that in it.

Haha that is an epic idea mate! Even if that didn't get handed in as part of the review it could be used separately or as a fun add-on! It's a shame I'd be in handcuffs faster than I'd be able to lift the camera to record lol.

Now that you mention it, they did ask how many cars would be used as I said no more than 3, so I guess if more people wanted to come they would hike up the price. I'll get back to them as soon as I can *(see below) and see if I can get a discount or allow more cars to be allowed.

Haha, you're right, a car flipping over would be ace :lol: No special effects needed lol!

Awesome mate, I'd love for you to present!
Just think of the TopGear style chase scenes you could do with all those cars though
Yeah would be awesome mate, I'm sure I'd be able to think of a way to fit all of the cars in as well.

* Due to the unfortunate death of my uncle on Friday night, the project will be put onto the back-burner for a few weeks. I'm hoping to get a couple weeks' extension and will get back to work on this ASAP, and will continue from this point when I do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts