Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got one of these for their J?

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing about with the performance settings inside the chip. I've got to say, once the chip was set-up properly, I was impressed by the extra power.

The chips default settings however, kept putting my car into limp mode. I wound back the torque/power setting one notch and upped the rev range setting where the chip is active and wow, I'm pretty sure I'll be giving Corsa VXR's and Type R's a run for their money. This is how the car should have come as standard. It has completely eliminated my jerky acceleration and the low end torque is just spot on.

Anyone else got one of these chips and had a play with the settings? Would like to hear some other people's stories.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you buy it from mate? Looked on the race chip site but couldn't see the 1.6T listed :confused:
There's 2 sections under the Opel/GM tag - one is for diesel and one for gasoline. I've linked it for you.

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Opel-GM-Astra-J-1-6-Turbo-ECOTEC-3742-r.html

I've heard some good things about both the DTUK and the Racechip. I guess the claimed figures on the RC persuaded me but I doubt the max output of 226bhp and 290nm of tourque are achievable. I'm still playing about with it every few days - just to test reliability and performance and to see what I can actually get out of it. Wouldn't mind a dyno run to see what it's actually capable of. All in all, it feels way, way quicker thus far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
well watching the vdo of the diesel fitment I would say all it is is a variable resistor not worth the price tag or the damage it can cause I'm speaking from experience of making the mistake of putting one on my mondeo and it buggered my injectors up so be warned if you use these type of boxes.A remap is really
The way to go to be safe.All that is doing is dumping more fuel there is no adjustment of timing or boost with that box,I'm waiting for the dtuk one as as I understand it it can monitor more sensors and adjust more parameters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have gone down the remap route but I don't think the dealership would be too happy when it went back. I also went for the box so I could sell it on afterwards.

I've had the power up on the chip and its been running fine so far without any problems. I guess time will tell :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would have gone down the remap route but I don't think the dealership would be too happy when it went back. I also went for the box so I could sell it on afterwards.

I've had the power up on the chip and its been running fine so far without any problems. I guess time will tell :p
2 questions
1) is your j a gasoline vehicle? i think yes from what you write
2) cause its an old thread do you still have the race chip box on the car? did it create any problems?

thanks for any answer

·
Registered
33 Posts
thanks for the link so now i know it is a gasoline engine
which brings back the second question
gaskatron
after a year with the box did it create any problems to the car?
cause i have read that it could influence the common rail or other parts of the engine in a bad way with the increase of pressure
is that a fact?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Giorgos, sorry, just got your message.

Not had any problems at all with the chip, although I never ran it at maximum settings. Plus, its still for sale if anyone's interested as I didn't get the reserve price I listed on eBay.

Anyhow, I've moved on from the Astra - was a nice little motor until I realised how heavy the clutch is!

·
Registered
33 Posts
just give DTUK a email im sure they would be more than happy to help you out if they could
well what i have been looking for is mainly opinions from owners of the race chip after a few or more kilometers (mainly more) and time of use as to how the car comes up with it and if there are any problems with the engine cause i see a lot of people that are cut in half some say all ok some say maybe it will damage the engine or parts of it because of the way it works (increasing the fuel pressure - quantity) and all that for a gasoline engine that is more difficult from the diesel one to find as you can understand its better to ask the users of the box then the seller

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
well what i have been looking for is mainly opinions from owners of the race chip after a few or more kilometers (mainly more) and time of use as to how the car comes up with it and if there are any problems with the engine cause i see a lot of people that are cut in half some say all ok some say maybe it will damage the engine or parts of it because of the way it works (increasing the fuel pressure - quantity) and all that for a gasoline engine that is more difficult from the diesel one to find as you can understand its better to ask the users of the box then the seller
but when the seller and friends are members on here im sure they would give as much detail as possible im sure Darkrain has a box on his 1.4 turbo J petrol!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Hiya, I heard my name mentioned...

I have the DTE/DTUK "FSR" system on my 1.4T petrol engine, and been running it for over 6 months now. It's given me an increase of +25bhp and around 33Nm of torque with the only other modification being a K&N panel filter in the air box. I haven't experienced any ill effects, apart from one time when my car had a bit too much wheelspin in the wet and the ESP system read a rotational value that was out of bounds and put my car into limp mode... but the roads were VERY wet, I was driving like an anus and it hasn't done it since, so I'd call that a definite one off and probably more to do with the ESP system than the box.

I'm thinking of going for a remap in a year or so, as I plan to upgrade the exhaust and air intake and the place i'm planning to go to does a special offer on remaps with exhausts, otherwise i'd be happy to run the DTUK box for the rest of my days. As I understand it there isn't any stress on the engine that isn't within manufacturer thresholds anyway, as the box is connected up to enough parts of the engine that it can compensate for the extra fuelling/air by adjusting timings at the same time. I've also since had my car back to the dealers for the 1st year service and warranty check up, and they didn't notice any problems whatsoever. I hope that helps :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
first thanks for your response Darkrain82 but what you have is not what i am searching for you have a pedal box (i think)
and i am searching for users having an actual tuning box dtuk doesn't have one for gasoline engines as far as i know while race chip does
please correct me if i am wrong and i have mixed things up

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
You're right and wrong :D

I have a pedalbox, I also have a tuning box (the FSR system) which is the petrol equivalent of the red/green/CRD boxes you see on the diesel cars. All the pedal box does is improve throttle response and removes the pedal lag, it doesn't increase BHP or torque directly. The tuning box does

1 - 20 of 31 Posts