Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought a 2016 1.6 CDTi SRi Astra today and have a couple of questions about ignition / start.
When I turn the key to stage 2 (2 clicks) the engine management light comes on and stays on. Is this normal?

The other thing that I think could be an issue is that if I transition from turning the key from stage 1, 2 and then 3 after waiting on 2 for a few seconds, the car will not start. If I turn the key all the way to stage 1 and all the way to stage 3 it will start fine (and the engine light comes off straight away).
When the car won't start, it does not even attempt to start - it's more like it does not register the key being turned.
Is this a normal thing - I could not find much info online and so I am unsure.
Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All sounds normal to me.
Hi! Thanks for your response. I think perhaps I did not explain the issue right.
If I turn the key to stage 2 when all the lights on the dash turn on and then attempt to turn the car on it will not start...
I tried this morning and it is starting now so what happened yesterday was definitely not normal. Unsure what was happening last night but a bit concerned it will happen again.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
There was a known issue on the J that's similar to yours with faulty ignition switches but i've not heard of it on a K,
it did need a live data session to try and pin the problem down though and getting an intermittent fault to appear can get very frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a known issue on the J that's similar to yours with faulty ignition switches but i've not heard of it on a K,
it did need a live data session to try and pin the problem down though and getting an intermittent fault to appear can get very frustrating.
Thank you all, I will try and see if it continues - it seems to have stopped doing that all of today...!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi! Thanks for your response. I think perhaps I did not explain the issue right.
If I turn the key to stage 2 when all the lights on the dash turn on and then attempt to turn the car on it will not start...
I tried this morning and it is starting now so what happened yesterday was definitely not normal. Unsure what was happening last night but a bit concerned it will happen again.
This has happened only twice in three years.
All electrics active on key insertion.

Turn key, no solenoid click, starter motor no active, car won't start.
Bumped started the car, fired up and now running fine.

Battery tested and fine.
No useful advice from main dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts