Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to cut a long story short. I brought a car today private sale. Since buying the car and giving it a good clean, I have noticed the ns wheel arch panel does not sit flush with the door hinge, it is slightly higher in the corner, the opposite side is perfect. What are my rights here?? I did a gold hpi check before buying and the car came back clear with no cat c or d. The seller did not mention the car has been in a accident or had any damage done to the car and it seems the car has been repaired without notifying the insurance company. When I run my hands between the gaps of the ns wheel arch, the panels connecting does not feel the same as the opposite side. The gaps are the same in width but different in height. I have not notified the seller yet but would love to know where i stand in this situation.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Exactly the same as if it was bought from a dealership. Take it back and ask for your money back. You may want to have it independently checked first. Note that terms such as "sold as seen" have no basis in law whatsoever and are worth less than the paper they are written on.

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
1. Your title is misleading. If it wasn't as described the seller would have had to have specifically told you it had never been in a crash.

2. I don't understand the leap from there being a misaligned panel to the insurance company not having been told. Only write-off damage shows on a HPI check, to my knowledge.

3. All privately sold cars are bought 'as seen' (regardless of what anyone writes on receipts). This means you buy the car based on your own inspection of the car, associated paperwork and advert. If there was something false in the paperwork or advert then you'd be entitled to your money back, but if you didn't spot an uneven panel gap when inspecting the car, there's no comeback I'm afraid.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Unfortunately for you with a private sale there is no comeback for something that you didn't notice or inspect properly yourself. Unless you have a signed agreement on paper from the seller stating that the car is factory mint condition in every way, there will be no comeback. (clearly that wouldn't happen because it's a used car)
Most cars have body work done at some point in there lives many even have work done before they leave the dealership from new, accidents happen. When most of us get a car home we notice little bits that we didn't notice on initial inspection, If not happy with the car sell it on or get it repaired to a better level.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In the add the seller described the car as perfect inside and out, while on inspection it was not perfect inside and out with stone chips on the front bumper and interior had a bit of wear and tear on the ns passenger seat amongst other things which was not said in the add but I was willing to give the seller the benefit of a doubt given the age of the car.

I should of explain myself better. Compared to the opposite side the ns headlight feels like its a bit higher when I rub my finger between the gap of the headlight and bonnet and its the same with the wheel arch connecting to the bumper and wheel arch to door, so its definitely had some sort of damage in that corner. I know I should of picked this up when viewing the car, I know that but everyone makes mistakes.

Surely I should have a leg to stand on, the seller should of listed the car as damaged and repaired? So I know its been repaired but not listed as Cat c or d due to the repairs not exceeding the value of the car?

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
But as mentioned above, virtually every used car has seen a bodyahop at some point, and very few sellers will list this in an ad; why would they?

If the seller had stated it had never been in an accident that would be another story altogether.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But as mentioned above, virtually every used car has seen a bodyahop at some point, and very few sellers will list this in an ad; why would they?

If the seller had stated it had never been in an accident that would be another story altogether.
I thought that putting perfect inside and out on a add is stating that the panels, bodywork is aligned and untouched and only wear and tear is the only thing that should be accepted giving the age of the car.

·
AON - Administrator
59,287 Posts
Go and get the car checked over by a professional. You need to be certain that it's had a repair of some sort and if so that it isn't covering something worse underneath.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You have no comeback on it, unfortunately the onus is on you when you buy it not the seller, it's possible the seller didn't notice or know about the damage,

For private purchases the phrase 'buyer beware' applies. Unless the private seller untruthfully answers any questions you've got about the car, they're not under any legal obligation to declare the condition of the car to you when purchasing and you won't be able to claim for repairs.

Posted from my Nokia 3310

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
I thought that putting perfect inside and out on a add is stating that the panels, bodywork is aligned and untouched and only wear and tear is the only thing that should be accepted giving the age of the car.
This was a very stupid thing for the seller to have said. But it's tenuous.

Nonetheless, make sure you keep the ad. If you come up with anything more than evidence of having had a repair at some point it could be useful.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Nothing is ever perfect:)

As Big T says, get the car checked out please, that is a must for your safety ,

IMO the car has had a minor hit, and NOT repaired properly, ie through insurance, because it would almost definitely be categorised ,

If the car handles well, keeps a straight line, etc etc, then she should be ok,

As mentioned most cars have bumps,

But do get the car checked over,

I doubt if you have any case withj compensation or otherwise

UNLESS the car is un-road worthy , and NOT fit for the purpose intended.

B

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I should of explain myself better. Compared to the opposite side the ns headlight feels like its a bit higher when I rub my finger between the gap of the headlight and bonnet and its the same with the wheel arch connecting to the bumper and wheel arch to door, so its definitely had some sort of damage in that corner. I know I should of picked this up when viewing the car, I know that but everyone makes mistakes.
Rubbing your finger on a car is not the way to test whether it has been repaired or not.

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,714 Posts
Rubbing your finger on a car is not the way to test whether it has been repaired or not.
true dat, the 156's paint work was awful, proper rough as it was badly looked after, quick clean, fallout removed and clayed and its now baby smooth, panel gaps are normally the best and easiest way to tell if its had a shunt, that and spray marks in the engine bay or under the boot carpet.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I really don't see what this thread is about? What car are we talking about here? Model, age, mileage etc

Look at the facts :-

A) A car can be repaired without telling an insurance company. If your not planning to make a claim, then why would you. Many big companies only insure third party only, and class themselves as 'self insured' by paying for all damage and loss's that are deemed their own fault.

B) It is down to you to inspect a car before purchase. You have made the assumption that the seller knew about the issues you describe. Not all car owners are enthusiasts, they may not have even known anything is wrong.

C) Your idea of perfect and someone else's idea of perfect are two very different things.

D) A car is only categorised if it is deemed a write off, this is why we have several bands.

Legally, you do not have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Maybe the seller saw the car as perfect to them and they didnt know it had any issues.

As said before the onus is on you to check the car and only hand over the money when happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts