Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a pre cat for my 888 cdti. At the moment I have a standard pre cat, standard cat, magnex middle box and then straight through pipe. I was wondering firstly if I should leave the pre cat and just remove all other boxes and have a straight pipe all the way after the standard pre cat or install the new pre cat pipe and have a decat system with the magnex rear box only.

Finally I have heard about back pressure but no idea what that is or how it will affect me. Do the pre cats cause turbo life shortage or any other problems?

What would be the best setup for sound and performance but mainly sound.

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
I've got the pre-cat fitted and cat-back, all Magnex and love it.

I would recommend getting the pre-cat fitted at least, helps free up the revs and mid range torque.

Cat-back is good for giving the car a nice low down rumble when you're up in the revs.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you had the pre cat? Has your turbo gone at all in that time? Ive heard a lot of mixed reviews hence why I want to know before I fit it. Dont want to end up paying a silly bill just over a pre cat. I just want the exhaust note to be more louder. Mine is rumbly when you boot it.

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
Pre-cat has been on 3 years or so, and turbo is still going strong.

Honestly you won't regret getting a pre-cat down pipe fitted.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I think I will have to take your word for it. Shall I also remove the cat and middle box and just have the magnex backbox? Or no boxes at all?

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
I had a de-cat fitted at one point, so was running pre-cat, de-cat and cat-back and I personally felt the car was a little off, so put the cat back in and has been running great since.

Like I say I'd opt for a cat-back system, not sure you can buy just the back box for the 1.9?

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have a full de-cat system which consists of a tx autosport downpipe, then magnex from there all the way back. easily noticed the difference, car picks up alot better low down and also felt a little better at higher revs due to free flowing, but could just be in my mind lol. fitting the precat is a bit of a pain but done mine twice now (my own fault lol) and it was alot easier the second time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I purchased the car it had a magnex system on it anyway but recently I removed the backbox and just put a pipe instead of the backbox to see if there was any sound difference which there wasnt so now im thinking of having the pre cat downpipe and then no cat and no middle box. Just a straight pipe with the magnex backbox at the end. Just thinking if the sound would be any better

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I purchased the car it had a magnex system on it anyway but recently I removed the backbox and just put a pipe instead of the backbox to see if there was any sound difference which there wasnt so now im thinking of having the pre cat downpipe and then no cat and no middle box. Just a straight pipe with the magnex backbox at the end. Just thinking if the sound would be any better
That's what mine is, basically a straight pipe all the way through to the back box

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a de-cat fitted at one point, so was running pre-cat, de-cat and cat-back and I personally felt the car was a little off, so put the cat back in and has been running great since.

Like I say I'd opt for a cat-back system, not sure you can buy just the back box for the 1.9?
can you get the 1.9 backbox from a scrappy ?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
buy one (pre-cat de-cat) you will feel the difference the car just revs more freely when i fitted mine just on the drive home it felt different

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
i was told that a de-precat pipe is actually better for the turbo as theres less heat sat just below the turbo at the precat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Warren G showed me a std pipe and a precat side by side and the after market has a much larger free flowing 1st bend so it makes sense, and there is the heat matter also yea....I'm feeling pre-cat, leave cat in and when I've got the cash get a cat bk system made up with my 888 tailpipe :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had the scorpion precat fitted to mine on saturday, wow what a difference! pulls like a train in low revs and the turbo sounds slightly louder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts