Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, as some of you know I like tinkering with my car a little. My next mod is going to be powerfolding mirrors.

I'm currently busy designing a citcuit to enable folding/unfolding with the lock/unlock button, that'll work in conjunction with the existing button and the possibility of the car have the auto lock feature above 5mph.

Now ive found in the rear fuse box the wires which pulse +~12v when locking/unlocking. My current thinking is that I wont be able to get it working with the deadlock as it pulses +~5V and on the same wire as a +~12V unlock pulse

For me to get this circuit prototyped I need to know how the switch and electrics function with the mirrors.

How I plan to do it is with a relay or 2, a few logic gates, a few transistors and some other random bits and bobs. Now as I dont actually own a pair yet (waiting for a bargin on ebay!) What I need to know is:

1. What the push button for extending/retracting actually does, did i read somewhere it flicks the polarity? Or does it simply send a +12V pulse for each of the functions? Or keep a constant +12V to the selected function (unlikely).

2. What kind of switch is it? push to make? push to break? locking etc.

2. If I made a few of these boxes would anyone be interested in purchasing at around the £20-30 mark?

Im guessing only a few people are going to have ventured in to the electronic side of the mirrors. Im sure I read a thread a while back that someone was attempting to make them fold with lock/unlock but I cant find the thead :(

Cheers (Y)

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
i've got electric mirrors fitted as standard - you can use mine as a guinea pig if you like! :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be intersted in this
would it be hard to wire up?
I'm trying to design it so its a very easy install, which means i should probably use scotch locks. Though i'm currently unsure if a pair of wires will need to be fed up from the boot to the button/mirrors via one of the sills. Hopefully not!

Anyone able to help me on the questions?

i've got electric mirrors fitted as standard - you can use mine as a guinea pig if you like!
Cheers for the offer, but i'd need to have them for a couple of weeks! I'f you can manage without mirror then great :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
does this mean that if you have auto unlock after 5 mph the mirrors will fold in.... or if not when you press the unlock button on the dash it will close meaning you cant drive with your doors locked cos the mirrors will be folded?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does this mean that if you have auto unlock after 5 mph the mirrors will fold in.... or if not when you press the unlock button on the dash it will close meaning you cant drive with your doors locked cos the mirrors will be folded?
No i'm designing it so that it works in conjunction with the chance the car has auto-unlock/lock. So no, it wont interfere.

Unfortunately the projects on hold until i can get hold of some of the parts :(

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
Rich - we might be able to work something out if you send me a PM outlining what you'd need and for how long... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts