Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Well I have finally managed to get my car to a stage where I am almost happy, its been a long winding road but I am almost there...

I will soon put together a project write up from start to where I am now.

Before I do, I wanted to ask some of you incredibility talented and knowledgeable individuals if you have heard or know anyone what I am currently experiencing;

I have recently had the car rolling road tested @ TX Autosport - they have a brand spanking new Dyno-Tech Rolling Road set-up.. I say brand new, its been installed for a few months and other cars have had dyno runs..

No long story short, I was told that the bhp prior to any map was 140bhp? which as you can imagine surprised me somewhat.. I was hoping to maybe get lucky and see 160.. but hey ho..

TX then applied a map to the car and after a number of runs only managed a rubbish 186.6bhp, again to my surprise and disappointment.. After pumping in so much money in the car, this result has left me asking questions.. especially when I know other vehicles who do not have my set up are running around 200bhp+

Anyway, while it was on the rollers it became apparent that when the turbo was spooling, I could hear the air intake sucked though however, to me it sounded like the air was being sucked from all over, I am unable to explain better then than that.. Once off the accelerator I noticed the sound of "chatter" or a dump valve effect, this was consistent throughout the dyno run process.. I did take a video but I am not 100% sure you can hear it right (the induction you can hear);

Dyno-Run below is from within a protective booth

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ktS5Ryqtc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dyno-Run below is from outside the booth in-front of the bonnet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_rr6_1HRE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

(I have changed the alloys over the weekend from 19" Diamond cut (for sale soon) to Team Dynamic 1.2's)

As a quick run down my cars setup is as follows:

2008 Black Astra 1.9CDTi 3 Door, 53K VXR-D

Interior

1. SMD conversion Red/Blue
2. CD70 Sat NAV + Blu-tooth
3. Heated Leather Seats
4. Boomerang Armrest
5. Air Conditioned Glove Box
6. Auto Dimming Mirror
7. Cruise Control
8. Auto Rain Wipers
9. Sight & Light
10.Push Button Start

Exterior

11.Full VXR Body Kit
12.Zenon's (AFL)
13.IDS+
14.18” Team Dynamic 1.2’s
15.Lower Eibach Sportlines
16.Miltek Non-Resinent Full Sports 17.Exhaust + Sports CAT + Centre Exit
18.Up-Rated FMIC (TXAuto Sport)
19.Haka Wind Deflectors
20.Insignia Washer Jets
21.Piper Cross Panel Filter
22.Keyless Entry
23.Rear Parking Sensors
24.Sachs Up-Rated Full Clutch Kit
25.RARB

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
First off if you can hear sucking then check all areas of intake ie seal on airbox the seal on the turbo etc etc.

then i would check all boost pipes for splits and clamps are tight and have not split where it has been clamped.

Check the egr cooler which sits underneath the r/hand side boost pipe (nimryan had this problem).

Tx fmic are not good and restrict air flow your better off relocating std intercooler.

After the remap could you hear it more..... If so they have uped your boost and you can hear boost dumpvalve noises i can from mine.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Have you seen your graphs..... Does it look wavey......

If so your boost control solonoid might be shot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off if you can hear sucking then check all areas of intake ie seal on airbox the seal on the turbo etc etc.

then i would check all boost pipes for splits and clamps are tight and have not split where it has been clamped.

Check the egr cooler which sits underneath the r/hand side boost pipe (nimryan had this problem).

Tx fmic are not good and restrict air flow your better off relocating std intercooler.

After the remap could you hear it more..... If so they have uped your boost and you can hear boost dumpvalve noises i can from mine.

Cheers Rob I'll take a look all over to check to for splits etc.. Is the TX fmic that bad.... ummm I might mention it to TX and see what they say.. (As some customer feedback)

They have definitely upped the boost cause I asked and you can defo hear it more.. sounds good mine but I want to be sure especially how fragile these engines can be if not properly looked after..

Have you seen your graphs..... Does it look wavey......

If so your boost control solonoid might be shot.

Below are the two graphs, interesting to note on the actual final graph the torque is not shown.. however, the before an after is very different, running through the revs has become allot more stable and smoother.. TX say they are willing to put it on the rollers for free and try and get more out the car :)

1st Map before boost increase

2nd run after boost increase

From what I have would you hazzard a guess what I could potentially be seeing?

Thanks for your feedback appreciate the input :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did they only up the boost?
to be honest I am not 100% sure, I know he said they use a generic map and then adjust accordingly - hindsight being a wonderful thing, I should have asked him to elaborate further on what exactly they are doing..

I could call or email a series of questions if you have any I should be asking specifically?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Ill tell ya now on a standard intercooler i ran 180bhp 333ftlb from courtaneys.

Ive put a fmic on but no zorst and went back for a free update and made 190bhp and 370ftlb ish if i had a zorst on they said they would of fueled it more.

Tx intercooler has been on auld joes van on here and it was proven to be restrictive against std.

I would ask tx why there figures are so low against tuning box with your mods you should see 200bhp.

Ask fot your money back

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill tell ya now on a standard intercooler i ran 180bhp 333ftlb from courtaneys.

Ive put a fmic on but no zorst and went back for a free update and made 190bhp and 370ftlb ish if i had a zorst on they said they would of fueled it more.

Tx intercooler has been on auld joes van on here and it was proven to be restrictive against std.

I would ask tx why there figures are so low against tuning box with your mods you should see 200bhp.

Ask fot your money back
well you guys know alot more than me so am fully prepared to ask for my money back perhaps go to Courtney, Thorney etc.. and just get it done properly than give a new guy a chance...

Would you say that the intercooler is the cause of my low performance?

As you mentioned before, I'll make sure everything else is 100% before I proceed any further i.e.check to leakage in the area's where you mentioned.. I'll need to google an engine plan to make sure I am looking in the right places... unless you can direct me accordingly..

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Only place i would go is courtaneys give em a ring and speak to em, thorney only use generic maps.

Maybe you might have a leak i dont know but if you ring courts even they will say tx fmic are restrictive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts