Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heyo..
i was out and about today toodleing along and i noticed the clutch was slipping at about 3k rpm. I thought it was the clutch at 1st, but it also did not want to go in to gear.
its a 5 speed box and generally its been fine. (astra h mk 5 80bhp version)
managed to get it home ok (mostly in 4th, lucky no one coming towards me on the roundabouts) I had a look at the resivuoir which was Excessively full of fluid. And figured id open the bleed valve get the clutch right down and close it up again. (obviously with help, as my arms are not that long)
but it was still the same behavior..

Im thinking its the clutch slave cylinder, my logic says its busted when i use the clutch it pumps fluid on to the clutch plate so it slips, and does not properly disengage the clutch making it difficult to change gears without matching the road speed.

thought id post here before i pull the gearbox off and replace the clutch and cylinder (if im taking the gear box off i am changing the clutch at the same time as the cylinder)
The reason im posting is in case some one knows of any other reason that could cause the issue.
I did not see any error codes btw, but i would not expect to see one with what i would call a mechanical issue.

EDIT
Wondering if it could be the flywheel.. As its a DMF if im changing it im gonna covert it to a solid fly wheel.
However.. I dont know if the 100bhp version of the 1.7cdti uses the same flywheel and clutch as the 80bhp..
(I think they do. and its mostly turbo and ecu mapping that does the 20bhp difference)
Any way.. like i said if im taking the gearbox off im doing the clutch so thats a given, and that me in for about £80 (And about 1/2 a day of swearing) OR
I could spend about £150 and 3/4 of a day swearing instead and do the flywheel conversion as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Really could do with some input on the 80bhp vs 100bhp fly wheel and clutch kits...
if any one knows that they are the same (both for 5 speed box) could you let me know as i want to order the parts asap.

Thanks

edit. i have also been told the 80bhp version was a solid fly wheel to start it (not dual mass)
So now i am confused..

I would really love to have this info so i can order parts. I dont want to order parts that i dont need/cant use,
And i dont want to pull the gearbox apart and have it sitting there wating for the parts to arrive after.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im going to pull the bell housing off this week some end. I will let you know my findings.
Im pretty sure its the slave cylinder, But i will pull it off to check 1st.

If any one is interested my plan is:
unbolt the steering rack, front offside wishbone. and the gear linkages.
jack the car up on the offise insert a axel stand. then doi the same on the near side.
use a torlly jack to lift the engine up firm and drop the sub frame.
From there it should all be easy enough (offside drive shaft removal, then bell house off)

from there i will be able to see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
heyo. Just to let you know the pressure plate had split in 1/2 Dont ask me how or why. I would have updated this post erlier but every time i came here i thought it was the wrong forum because it looked different lol

And the 100bhp clutch wouldnt fit. also it is not a dmf.

P.S

its a lot more work than i expected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts