Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title changing my speakers in the van does it make a differance which way the wires are wired up or is there a plus and a negative if so which is which?

gaz

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes it makes a difference. If you get it wrong, the sound will be phased by 180 degrees. If one is right and the other is wrong, they will cancel out the sound, making it sound terrible.

The wire with the stripe on it is uaully the negative. The terminals are usually sized different - one is smaller than the other - can't remember which way around it is though (I think hte larger is positive) - check the label in the speaker terminal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thought it would looking at it now i have a solid blue wire and a brown with a blue stripe down it im struggling to find out which one is plus and which is neg i put a test light on them but both light up?

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Yeah thought it would looking at it now i have a solid blue wire and a brown with a blue stripe down it im struggling to find out which one is plus and which is neg i put a test light on them but both light up?
as I said, its on the speaker and the plug

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Pluging them in the wrong way won't do any damage to the speaker, so easy way to tell is plug them in one way turn some music on. See what that sounds like then swap the them round and listen to the music again. One way will sound alot better that's the right way round (Y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts