Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have finally found the problem! My starter motor engages but doesn’t spin. So did the positive jumper cable trick and Voila! My engine starts again.
So my question is….if I buy 485amp starter motor cable from eBay can I wire this from the back of the starter to my positive battery terminal? And bypass the fuses on top of my battery?

kind regards,
Grant

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Always useful to post some car and engine details,
have you checked the main starter fuse isn't just blown ?
direct wiring without a fuse in the circuit is downright dangerous,
unless you want to be the meat on the barbecue if it shorts and catches the car alight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Th
Always useful to post some car and engine details,
have you checked the main starter fuse isn't just blown ?
direct wiring without a fuse in the circuit is downright dangerous,
unless you want to be the meat on the barbecue if it shorts and catches the car alight.
Thanks for the reply, it’s an Astra J 1.6T engine code is A16LET. Checked fuses and starter relay. Without the positive from the battery to back of the starter it doesn’t charge the battery either which points to the wire being faulty. It’s connected to a mega 32v fuse on the car but the wire isn’t carrying anything. Should I do the new wire to the mega fuse then to back of the starter and see what happens?

could the 32v fuse be blown? Is this what you mean?

kind regards,
Grant

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
There are no 32v circuits on the the car, it's a 275 amp fuse for the petrol cars,
it won't charge if the cable is removed
here's the complete circuit and fuse (F6UD) to check,i'd start by checking all connections (including the earths) are clean and tight,and at the alternator plus removing the battery fuse box to check and clean where the cables connect

Screenshot 2021-07-21 103147.png

Screenshot 2021-07-21 103710.png

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you’re an absolute star! It’s the f6ud one 500amp. Could this have blown? That’s the starter loom

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
500 amps is listed diesel only but hey ho it is what it is,
it could have blown but that would be one hell of a short,i'd recommend doing all the cleaning and checks first

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
500 amps is listed diesel only but hey ho it is what it is,
it could have blown but that would be one hell of a short,i'd recommend doing all the cleaning and checks first
Apologies you’re right. It’s the 275! As it’s petrol.

so the starter engages but doesn’t turn but when I put the jumper it engaged and turned and the battery was also charging. Cleaned all earths and bits still the same

·
Registered
Astra j estate sri
349 Posts
im thinking is battery ...as you said "so the starter engages but doesn’t turn but when I put the jumper it engaged and turned" if 275amp has blown starter motor shouldnt be engaged no power going,

battery charging from engine running or from jump leads from another car?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Cleaned all earths and bits still the same
just to confirm first,you've undone and cleaned all the battery connections in the battery fuse box
plus removed and cleaned the connection at the alternator ?
i'd now try carefully bridging across the fuse (remove the fuse if necessary) with one of the jump leads and try cranking with the key.
@loeb the way i read it was a direct connection was made from the cars battery to starter using a single jump cable
if so it would appear the battery is up to the job of cranking when a proper connection is made.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im thinking is battery ...as you said "so the starter engages but doesn’t turn but when I put the jumper it engaged and turned" if 275amp has blown starter motor shouldnt be engaged no power going,

battery charging from engine running or from jump leads from another car?
Thanks for reply,

replaced the battery already mate as I thought the same. Not charging on a bump start but when jumper cable was connected it was charging?

so when I bypassed the loom and the fuse and just put jump on positive and on the positive for starter motor it started and charged

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Not charging on a bump start but when jumper cable was connected it was charging?
so when I bypassed the loom and the fuse and just put jump on positive and on the positive for starter motor it started and charged
It's a process of elimination,
the joint of the alternator to starter cable and starter to battery cable is looking like a possible suspect but that depends exactly where you connected your jumper,also the connection from the starter cable to the battery fuse box or the main fuse itself which has yet to be ruled out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a process of elimination,
the joint of the alternator to starter cable and starter to battery cable is looking like a possible suspect but that depends exactly where you connected your jumper,also the connection from the starter cable to the battery fuse box or the main fuse itself which has yet to be ruled out.
Jump was connected to positive of the battery and the live feed on starter motor not the ignition one. Ignition engages the starter but won’t spin unless the direct connection with jump cable….hope that makes sense

would a 300amp fuse be too much? Can’t seem to find a 275 in stock anywhere

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Jump was connected to positive of the battery and the live feed on starter motor not the ignition one. Ignition engages the starter but won’t spin unless the direct connection with jump cable….hope that makes sense

would a 300amp fuse be too much? Can’t seem to find a 275 in stock anywhere
Don't worry about the fuse yet,
have you tried bridging across to rule it in/out as i suggested yet ?
Yes it's not the small wire to the solenoid i'm concerned about,that's working ok,it's the power to crank it's lacking,

here's a pic of the setup showing where the 2 cables join and where to put the jump lead to start

Screenshot 2021-07-21 152620.png

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it's not the small wire to the solenoid i'm concerned about,that's working ok,it's the power to crank it's lacking,

here's a pic of the setup showing where the 2 cables join and where to put the jump lead to start

View attachment 35236
Yes that’s exactly where I put the cable

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

View attachment 35236
So I’ve pulled the fuse off and it’s rattling like a blown lightbulb? Is this right?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I honestly don't know,bridge across and see if it cranks,
sorry fella but you seem to keep ignoring most parts of my posts,i keep asking questions and getting zero response

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I honestly don't know,bridge across and see if it cranks,
sorry fella but you seem to keep ignoring most parts of my posts,i keep asking questions and getting zero response
Sorry mate been at work and just got back so had a look as taking it off 😂

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
No problem,just say you'll check later (y)
i'm at home sorting wasp and ant nests out so plenty of spare time today.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
New car or new house ? lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts