Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all AON people got myself a rattle can of black plastidip . am off work 2moro and was going to do my front grill and rear boot strip . has any1 done the v grill before with plastidip am looking for some tips lol . been watching all the vids on youtube was just wanting to know if any 1 has done the v grill on the H yet . and has any1 got any pics

thanks barry .:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hi pal i did my front v grill and back rear boot strip also both my wing mirrors all on 1 can its pritty easy to use it kinda spurts out but u have to. Trust it and keep spraying like a paint it does settle properly all i can advise is make sure your parts are clean before spraying and if all else fails it does peel of (one handy can) i found it easy romoving parts before spraying also hope this helps stuart.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good to see another dipper :lol: it's the easiest thing to do, i took mine off the car placed them in the garage and done 4 coats on each and done the rear griffin by masking off a small area on the boot :) got pics of the finished product if needed. (Y)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
put up some pics stirzz plz . a was just going to leave the v grill on think it might be easier to leave it on . wit do u hink m8 . wits the weather like up your end of the sticks it pishing down doon here :wave:

·
Registered
509 Posts
these pictures are about 3/4 months old but its still mint as it stands :) also the red on the v-grille is now white.
i took it off so i could get all the angles on it and so i didn't need to mask off the bonnet etc.

can get better pics tomorrow if its sunny :)

Weathers changing each day here, throughs plans right out the window :lol:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that looks minted buddy . a was just going to pop bonnet open and mask of headlight etc . how many coats was that .

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nae bother m8 . how did you remove griffin badge and v-grill jus incase a end up taking it off .

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gd gd cheers for that mucker all get some pics up 2moro once ave sobered up and done the job . wish me luck lol :lol:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol a will just nose the front end in the garage . how do u find cleaning the plastidip is it ok or what .:look:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats me done my vgrill and boot strip with black plastidip 2day

1st coat

2nd coat

3rd coat

4th coat

a gave it another 3 coats after this just to be safe heres the finish

·
Registered
686 Posts
these pictures are about 3/4 months old but its still mint as it stands :) also the red on the v-grille is now white.
i took it off so i could get all the angles on it and so i didn't need to mask off the bonnet etc.

can get better pics tomorrow if its sunny :)

Weathers changing each day here, throughs plans right out the window :lol:
love the look of the back end. how did you dot the griffin on the boot? as i want mine to be black, but dont really fancy taking it off, then have to buy another one, spray it, and try and stick it back centrally and square. ive just bought a black boot strip off ebay, its sapphire black OEM the one they have on the burgs, cant wait to get it and fit it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks, to do the griffin mask off around it leaving about 5 cm around the griffin and apply 4/5 layers off plastidip to the area, leave it to dry take off masking, peel away plasti dip around and in the griffin, stand back and admire (Y)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your cars are lookin great guys. This is the 1st tym ive even heard of plastidip lol!

Is there no primer or anything involved? Jst spray 4/5 coats over the chrome?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aye m8 just make sure u give it a wee clean a used the mrs nail varnish remover am well chuffed wae mine
looks the part . Go to youtube and type in plastidip . Theres a few vids give u a few good tips
a got mine fae plastidip uk .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts