Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried these bulbs before? I have just ordered some from PowerBulbs as im a little sick of the poor performance of the standard ones. I managed to find a discount code for 10% off plus a free set of Philips blue vision sidelight bulbs.

Linky: http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=81

I have had plenty of sets of Osram Nightbreakers in the past on various cars but fancied a change and noticed these ones come up trumps in Auto Express :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same here, changed my standard ones for the Xtremes and they are far brighter than the standards. I got mine from Powerbulbs too, and the free sidelight bulbs are much brighter and whiter than the standard ones, they look orange in comparison.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I got mine from Powerbulbs too, and the free sidelight bulbs are much brighter and whiter than the standard ones, they look orange in comparison.

Id be a little careful with the sidelights. I stuck a pair of these in my aunts car, they shine a nice white, slightly blue tint to match her Xenons in her 3-series. She had her MOT last week, they failed the car on the sidelights and replaced them back to the OEM osram sidelight bulbs (horrid orange). When we went back to complain as it says in the MOT guidelines the light given off can only be yellow or white they said because the bulb is blue it is illegal. Tbh the MOT and service managers were both up themselves, and were extremely rude towards me and my aunt. Even though they are E marked and are meant to be fully road legal in the EU you may run into problems during the MOT.

On her car its a 2 min job to change them, they basically hinted to just swap them back to the OEM type each time the MOT is due. However its more of a pain doing that on the Astra.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Post up your thoughts when you get them fitted mate. Im after some upgraded bulbs so would be interested to know what these are really like.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had these on my Mk4. They are much better than standard ones, but don't last as long as they burn hotter. Was thinking about the sidelights too, I had white LED ones binned at MOT. They are a pain to change on the MK5, so might not be worth it.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Following up on this.. I fitted them last night and what a difference they make! Instantly you tell the difference when driving, they seem to have a lot further reach, alot whiter/brighter colour and also seem to give a lot wider reach to them.

The sidelights are great as well, instantly you can tell the difference, from a dull yellow'y look to a nice white clean look (wish I took some pics to compare the before and after). Although the bulbs themselves are bright blue in the packet (I was worried before fitting, incase they were actually all blue colour when turned on) they give off a nice white crisp brighter look. I guess what im trying to say is, i defo recommend them :)

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
i just got some Diamondvision, havent fitted them yet waiting for my H1 bulbs to arrive

will have Diamond Vision H7 H1, Bluevision W5w and H3

·
A.O.N - Club Member (James)
2,512 Posts
ive been through loads of sets now on my 4th for the dipped beam and still on my first of the main

Main beam - Philips Crystal vision - fantastic white light - long beam pattern and perfect for the job - so much better than standard

1st) Philips Diamond vision (the ones with a slightly blue tint) - Rubbish - no improvment - if anything worse. I thought both builbs were broken at one point because of hwo bad they were
2nd) Philips Xtreme Power +80%: better than standard but I wasnt convinced at the difference. MUCH better than the diomond vision
3rd) OSRAM Nightbreakers +90% and 10% whiter. TBH i thought they where better than before but having just taken them off they are burnt black which is odd (still work) and i know i didnt touch the lens when putting them in so im a bit confused. Not convinced they are owrth the extra over standard bulbs though.

4th and current set) ULTRA Power Bulbs. 50% brighter, white light (fully Emarked MOT friendly etc) Right I got these after seen the astravan belonging to my local Carnoisseur with them in. TBH with the light they where emitting I thought they where HIDS. Fitted them to mine a couple of days ago. The conclusion - WOW! Absoultly fantastic. A clear white light seriously bright and a much better beam pattern and visability in the dark and bad weather
I recommend these without a doubt because they have transformed how I drive the car at night now. Absolutely fantastic bulbs!

If anything changes in the long run I'll report back but atm - no problems and very impressed with them!

·
A.O.N - Club Member (James)
2,512 Posts
look like them yup!

Quality piece of kit imo :D

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
its about having more light not less.
safety perspective.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts