Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just a random one, Peoples thoughts on Fiberglass Parts, specifially bumpers, I'm looking for a GSI bumper..

I am looking at getting one, and i'm wondering if they're ok, or is worth just saving my money and buying a genuine (second hand one)

its not urgent just really want one :)

regards

Steve

·
AON - Full Member
3,976 Posts
If it were me id wait and buy Genuine, Ive had many fibreglass parts and plastic bodykits over the years and dealt with many cars with them, and the fibreglass 9/10 aint the best of fit on any kits or parts...Plus fibreglass wont flex on impact it will just crack and shatter, Stone chips will be more prone to happening as it chips far easier as there is no give in the fibreglass. compared to the same plastic versions. Not to mention if worst comes to worst and something happens, you meet a kerb/speed bump/small animal plastic will snap, and you will be usually left with a handful or reasonable sized bits. were if its fibreglass it will just smash into a million pieces. :lol:

Personally when looking at parts i would tend to go for ABS Plastic or OEM for bumpers and big splitters, and Fibreglass for spoilers etc as less chance of damage and stone chips etc.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Steve just what has been said before really I know from experience fibreglass is cheap and cheerful, but will be a pain to fit as will never be a perfect fit like a genuine part, also smallest of stone chips will show up really clear and tap it on anything at all and will crack.

By time you have had to modify it to fit and then the repair cost down the line as well it will actually work out cheaper to buy genuine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts