Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve been trying to do a pedal test on our Astra automatic 2009 Design as the car and spanner light has come on, however, no codes are appearing. Any advice?
The car seems to stutter a bit when it’s changing gears

·
3,878 Posts
Hi and welcome to AON.

You posted this in the Astra G section, but a 2009 model would be an Astra H or J:
Astra G: 1998-2004
Astra H: 2004-2009
Astra J: 2009-2017
Astra K: 2017-

Can you confirm which generation car it is and I'll move the thread to the right section for you? In the meantime I'll move this to Astra H since that's most likely what you have.

In any case, I would suggest to buy a bluetooth OBD II code reader from eBay and install the Torque Lite app on your phone to read the codes that way. They only cost about £7 so well worth having.

·
Registered
110 Posts
its a 2009 so an Astra H.
The little light with a spanner is the Gearbox light. So not good...

If you remove the dipstick for the gearbox. (to the right of the engine oil dipstick). What colour is the gearbox oil ?.
Should be Red, or a very dark red.
If it looks like strawberry milkshake, im afraid your about to be hit with a world of pain. The GM radiator has an inherent fault. Where an internal seal fails and water mixes with the gearbox oil, via the oil cooler section. When that happens the gearbox is immediately trashed. Since the clutch plates get soaked in water.

Where abouts are you ?. I have full GM TechII so can check the codes in more detail.
Im in Reading Berkshire.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
its a 2009 so an Astra H.
The little light with a spanner is the Gearbox light. So not good...
It's also the same light for the engine electronics according to the handbook.

OP, As has been mentioned, buy a fault code reader which takes way any guessing what's wrong.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As a bit (lot) ;) of a pedant could i just point if the car is a 2009 it could be an H or J,
but if my memory serves correctly they didn't produce a J design so it could only make it an H.
The car/spanner light illuminated solid means there's a fault in the engine or transmission electronics and as pointed out does need fault code reading,unfortunately a cheepo obd/obd 2 reader may not be up to the job as there's a load of manufacturer codes it may not pick up,Tech 2 or a Vauxcom is the recommended tool to be certain of picking all codes up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's also the same light for the engine electronics according to the handbook.

OP, As has been mentioned, buy a fault code reader which takes way any guessing what's wrong.
Except generic code readers would not read the auto gearbox ecu.

So for that you really need TechII.
It also enables you to test all the gearbox actuators, and clear Gearbox adaption. Important if oil just changed etc.

Charlie, if you could reply about the oil colour that would be a big help.
If gearbox oil is still a nice red. Then removing the 2 speed sensors on the outside of the gearbox, cleaning and refitting solves alot of the gearbox light related issues. These speed sensors cause incorrect readings if a bit of dirt builds up on them.There is one on the end of the gearbox, accessed with the wheel off. And the other is on the rear face of the gearbox almost underneath the Engine coolant tank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As far as i know, OpCom does not have the suite of Test tools for the Auto. Sensor checks, Soliniod tests. Clear adaptions and so on.

for TechII for windows, you only need a "VXdiag VCX Nano GM". Approx £80. And you have full TechII functionality.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As far as i know, OpCom does not have the suite of Test tools for the Auto. Sensor checks, Soliniod tests. Clear adaptions and so on.

for TechII for windows, you only need a "VXdiag VCX Nano GM". Approx £80. And you have full TechII functionality.
Have you ever tried the vcx nano yourself ?
we tried some vcx nano units on opcomusers and had massive problems with using it with any reliability,it proved to be at it's worse when running tech2win and from memory was unable to connect to the ms and ls cans,while introducing multiple fault codes in the modules it was trying to connect to,the failure of it was behind my purchase of a genuine Mongoose pro gm2 which although not cheap at around £600 does actually work ok.
If anybody wants to buy a cheap vcx nano to try then i still have one somewhere o_O

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes i use it all the time. Maybe 4 times this week alone. Never have any issues.
You absolutely have to use TechII for windows in a 32bit OS. Running it on a 64bit machine even in comparability mode does not work. As such i have it on an old laptop with Windows 7 x32 installed.

You have to open VXmanager, before opening TechII. Other than that it works sweet.
I have GlobalTIS too, so can update software on vauxhalls. Engine, Gearbox, ABS ecus. Update radio firmware and so on.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes we tried it with a native 32bit w7 as well as in a virtual machine on a 64bit laptop but over a 12 month period never got it to a point where there was any confidence in using it.
I kept one of my vcx nanos and gave the other to a friend to play with.
I've been using the Mongoose for a year or so now mainly running gds2 and the latest opcom for the earlier cars,it'll also handle all the J2534 SPS programming either from global tis or online via tis2web.
If you've got it working then for my own satisfaction I'm tempted to try it again with the latest vxmanager and drivers on a spare 32bit w7 laptop

·
Registered
110 Posts
The latest VX manager is VX Manager 1.6.2.0902
This new version now updates itself once installed. Also make sure you click the firmware update button for the Nano. Been lots up updates recently. The GM one now works on Saabs too which is handy.

Maybe ive been lucky, i dont know. I did have issues originally 2yrs ago when i got it, but i was trying to use it in Win10.
Now its on a old laptop with Win7 32bit its happy. Use it on customers cars all the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No i never use the MDI manager.
Simply install the latest version of VX Manager.

Its the driver as well, so nothing else to install.
Open VX Manager.
Plug in Nano. Give it 2mins to install itself if its the first time.
Update the Nano firmware if it needs it.
Click the License button, so the licenses are downloaded for your unit serial number. (You only need to do this once).
Then Open TechIIWin. Select "USB" and off you go just as if it were a real TechII unit.

I have the last version of TechIIWin if you need it. I think it was June 2012. They have not updated it since.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think i shall have to have a play later in the week,
i've downloaded the latest vx manager,updated the firmware,changed the config to usb etc but i don't get any interface options in the tech2win interface screen when i fire it up,i'm thinking it may be a com port mismatch.
my t2w is v 187 and covers up to 2014 so we may be able to swap versions at some point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts