Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any advice on painting penta centre caps? Got the alloys refurbed in gloss black so looking to do something with the centre caps but I've never painted anything before

Was thinking just remove the outer silver peices, rub down, prime and paint. But what should I rub it down with? And also how many coats of paint/laquer should I use?

Also are the outer clips around the outside how you remove the outer peice? Any tips for doing this?

Also it would appear that the griffin can also be removed. These two clip things in the centre seem to hold it on but can these be removed easily? As they look like they will probobly break.

So any tips would be great got the wheels back now and really want to get them on with the centre caps.

·
A.O.N - Club Member
531 Posts
The clips come off fairly easily with a but of help from a precision screw driver (all I had to hand) and then the centre grey piece is only glued on. So that's comes off with a bit of heat or hot water? Then you have all 3 seperate parts to paint. I painted my centre caps black and yellow. Not the best finish but I like it (Y)

·
A.O.N - Club Member
531 Posts
Yes mate, I've just realised I was incorrect before, the 2 clips take the grey centre bit out, then the griffin is just glued on. So easy to take up mate yeah. I used red scotchbrite to prep the surface, but lots of people use different things.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers mate its making sense now lol. Did you have any trouble with the two centre clips breaking at all?

·
A.O.N - Club Member
531 Posts
Nope none at all, just take your time taking the little silver clips off and you will be fine mate. Work them off bit by bit.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
cheers mate its making sense now lol. Did you have any trouble with the two centre clips breaking at all?
Mine only had one, but was strong enough to handle being taken apart :)

It's a pain to get it all apart, as the griffin is glued like badges on the car, the centre bit and the outer metal ring are also glued, but once you have done one, it's easy :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts