Astra Owners Network banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 07 3door black astra. i wanna do my boot strip this week as i am off work, want 2 do it black as my car is black. how long does it take? how much is the paint (same colour as car). plus what else am i gonna need 2 complete the job? thanks

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Easiest way is to take it to a bodyshop and get it done... Mines cost £60 and it's colour matched to my car...

By the time you buy the materials etc and the effort required for prep (which is a nightmare) It's not that much dearer tbh. Plus you get the correct finish (Y)

H xx

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
If you're looking to do it yourself, you'll need the following...

Wet and dry sand paper (fine, medium and course)
1 can of plastic Primer (£6 approx)
1 can of paint (£6 approx)
1 can of clear lacquer (£6 approx)

I did mine one evening in me Dad's garage. If you're off work, then spend the day on it to get the best finsih. (Y)

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Ha ha i used a belt sander on mine :lol: never seen chrome fly so much (Y) but it was much quicker to get it right down to plastic :D

·
Registered
40,498 Posts
Ha ha i used a belt sander on mine :lol: never seen chrome fly so much (Y) but it was much quicker to get it right down to plastic :D
Good ol' elbow grease for me. Would probably make a right mess if I used power tools! :lol:

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Well you wouldn't have like to see the state of the livingroom after the belt sander was on full pelt in it :lol: But so worth it!! Perfect key before going to paint shop :D

·
Registered
32,567 Posts
As already said, you'll need to sand it down before you do anything. Primer cost me £6.99 from Halfrauds. The paint and lacquer cost me £10 from Vauxhall, comes as a set. It then took me a few days to fully complete the colour-coding. I did about an hour a night. Gave it a few coats of primer, leaving 15-20 minutes between each for it to be touch-dry... then left it 24 hours to completely dry before coating it with paint. Did same again with paint, then same again with lacquer. Fitting took about 20 minutes. Had to take apart the whole boot lining, then there were about 5 or 6 nuts holding it in. Unbolt these and then carefully unplug the boot switch.

You've just got to remember that while the boot strip is off, don't close the boot fully, as you won't be able to open it again without plugging in the boot switch.

It might be an idea to get it done in a body shop who can do it all same day, or buy a second strip to spray while the other one is on. This is what I did. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts