Astra Owners Network banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
So ive heard opcom is a pretty good bit of kit, wanted to know exactly what i am able to do on this thing and also wondered if anyone else had one what are your thoughts on these machines, quite excited :nah:, i own a 1.9cdti sri 150 btw.

Thanks guys look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.

**Links removed as per site rules**

- Mitch

·
A.O.N Assistant Regional Organiser - Scotland East
27,718 Posts
op-com is a powerful program in the write hands.

The major issue with ebay opcom is its not genuine by any means of the word and is normally pirated copies of the software/ hardware which comes with its own risks.

some users have ended up bricking their car due to opcom failing on them, but again others have used it without any issue, me personally have used opcom on a project car I was building as we had an issue we couldn't solve but after running it in opcom we found the solution, but it was just being used to read live sensor data nothing else, havn't done any programming with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isnt the tech2 around that price? I thought this was a chinese clone of it.

Sorry not clued up on these things i wanted this primarily for checking codes, but it is a cheap one so prob lewve the programming etc for another diagnostic tool

·
27,718 Posts
Tech2 is a handheld device, opcom is a Windows based obd application by illexia, does the same thing and costs about the same

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a "chinese clone" ive been told these work aswell? Its fine if it isnt genuine lol. Will it work thats the question.

·
Premium Member
59,287 Posts
Some work some don't. All are capable of completely bricking your ECU leaving your car as an expensive paperweight

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
MDI can frazzle ECUs :lol: but at least then Vauxhall give you the support to fix it. Something soldered by a Chinese schoolkid isn't going to have any support with it.

As said above, some people have no trouble, and other have had to spend hundreds of pounds getting their car running again.

If you want to read codes then there are loads of other options that cost about the same with no risk attached.

·
AON Resident Cynic
14,669 Posts
My personal view is one needs to be the sort of chap who wakes up in the morning and thinks he's a green giraffe called Ethel to put a pirate eBay opcom anywhere near one's car. And one needs to be sectionably insane to pay for the privilege.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the feedback and the heads up!

So just so ive got this right even diagnosing faults and reading live data using this can "brick" your vehicle?

If that is the case i really would steer clear, thought this was just the programming side of things

·
27,718 Posts
Should be fine for reading codes and data, it's normally the programming side of things that cause issues if the app crashes or freezes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should be fine for reading codes and data, it's normally the programming side of things that cause issues if the app crashes or freezes.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease BigDov, i can still use this for fault reading thwts the main thing, phew, my sri isnt running at the moment, nice phone by the way ive got an m8 myself beast of a phone but thats a different topic:cool:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Can't speak for the Astra H, but with the Vectra-C you can do a few basic things with an Opcom cloan. Key programming, fault code readout and resetting, and enabling the headlights for HIDs.

But try anything like reprogramming window or mirror modules and you'll fry them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts